61" ztr's and compaction

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thartz, Jan 6, 2003.

1. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

A few quick questions for you ztr guys: I looked at a BushHog 61" ztr and was wondering if you big boys have trouble with lawn compaction because of the weight of these machines.This machine is a 61" with a kawi 25hp and suspension seat and is currently on an introductory price of $7499.00 by the dealer.Is this a decent price and is this a good machine? The reason I ask about compaction is because it seems to have the same size tires as a 48" and a 52" and it weighs about 200lbs. more;unless my dealer is wrong since he didn't have a spec. chart yet.Thanks.

2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

who makes that bushhog for them? It looks like a grasshopper,but you can't get a kaw on a hop.could it be an encore?

3. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Remember, you don't mow in the same direstion every week. That will help keep you're properties from developing "ruts", so to speak.

4. thartz

I can't tell you; I got there when he was unloading it off the truck.If you find out let me know.thanks

5. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Oh and only buy exmark an exmark ztr, they have a 60 in lazer z for 6,999. Or a walker, they cut really well and wigh about 700 lbs I think.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

According to the Exmark brochue, the lightest 60" ZTR weighs 1031lbs.

7. thartz

bob; that's why I'm curious because these machines can weigh up to half a ton.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, you can end up with some serious compaction with the 61" Z's. You better go with the 60".:p

9. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

that mower is junk.don't waste your time. when i worked in power equipment they let me demo one for a weekend.it cuts like crap alot of vibration and very easy to tip over.i got it to fall on its side.exmark and scag are a 1000 times better and safer.plus the cut is awsome.even bobcats aren't bad.look around you can find some nice used exmarks with 500 to 1000 hours on them for 6500

10. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Dry weight on my Lazer Z w/23 Kaw is 931 lbs. Throw a 200 lb operator and 11 gallons of fuel into the equasion and your pushing 1200 lbs.

Rotate mowing directions and sell aerations! :D