615 yard mulch install next spring

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by sodzilla, Nov 15, 2003.

1. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

I went to measure a property this morning for next year. Property is 270,650 sqf. (6.2 acres). want bid for weekly mowing service plus fert. and weed control. Property also would require 615 yards of mulch in landscaped areas. We would call in some favors from some friends to do install. Figured we could have around 15-18 guys with 3-4 quad axle dumptrucks hauling back and forth. My question is on install this size would you stick to the $40-$45 yard install or discount it and if so how much would you discount it?

Thanks for your input,

Brian

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

i would do it for your regular price.

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe you could find a company in your area that blows mulch and get a price from them. Tack on your percentage and sub it out to them.

4. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

If your getting that much mulch, you should be able to get one hell of a deal at a wholesaler. There is one about an hour from us that would dump semi loads at jobs for us. So if it were me I would give them a better deal then usual. I agree with lawn-scapes though. If you can find someone to blow it on for you, you could still make a nice profit, but not spend two weeks laying mulch.

5. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with Lawn-Scapes.Those blow in mulchers are nice.

6. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

There is a company in Elkhorn that would probably love to talk to you - the name is QuickScapes. I think you can reach them at 262-743-2190. In my opinion (my opinion is a little biased) subbing this out to another company is a no brainer.

7. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

Can a blower truck blow mulch up to 600 feet? Landscaped areas are on the outer perimiter of the propert. Also I'm affraid the road would be to narow for the truck to sit there and blow. Property is across the street from a lake and just down the road from a country club. I would hate for it to tie up traffic. And some spots are over 600 feet away from the parking lot.

Like I said befor my partner and I have alot of friends that owe us favors. We also have four friends that own quad axle dumps that will haul for next to nothing(a case of beer after the day is done).We have access to a few tractors and wagons, a couple of gators, two skidloaders, about a dozen wheel barrows and a sh**load of shovels,rakes and forks. I figure we could get it done easily on a weekend when no one is at the business. I could be wrong though. Maybe I'm over estimating my cheap labor.

I also figured that since the property is surrounded by houses that are from $500,000-$1,000,000+ it could be good way to get more work with them seeing us there. Lake houses across the street and golf cource houses on east side of propert with a far way on the south side.

Also after talking to my mother and father today(they both us to work for the company that use to own this prop. before the buy-out). They both said cost is not an issue to the owner. It is owed by a foundation that was started by one of the original owners widows. A Very sweet elderly lady with several millions to give away. My mother is friends with the lady that runs the office and my father is friends with the property manager.

I said before property was 6.2 acres. Property is actually bigger. there is 6.2 acres to mow, fert. and weed control.

Thanks for your feed back,

Brian

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

They can afford 615 yds of mulch the ladys got millions to spend and you want to know weather to give a dicount? shi* you already gave her a dicount at $45 a yd.

Mac

9. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

I didn't know the story behind the property till this afternoon. I thought the company that bought out the company my parents work was in charge of this other property. I didn't know what the buyout agreement was. The property manager works for the main company but still manages this one.

If $45 a yard to install is a deal. What do you charge? Everyone I've talked to in my area said $40-$45 is about right. I can buy it for between $16-$20 a yard.

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

$75 yd installed