$62.50 PER wrench? WTF?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ElephantNest, Oct 17, 2004.

1. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

That seems a little high for wrenches, but I know my uncles use Snap On in their garages, and they aren't cheap. I bought one wrench for my E47 pumps to take the solenoids out, and it was like 45-50.00 for the one wrench. Sad thing is i left it on top of the plow one night, and went out to plow, and lost it somewhere.. :dizzy: I'll stick with my Crapsman wrenches..lol

3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Yea, sounds a little high for a set of wrenches but, A lot of companies are now putting into rules and procedures that only tools manufactured by certain companies can be used on the job sites. Companies such as Snapon, Mac, Craftsman, ect. seem to be the tools of choice. Most companies have learned that expensive tools are cheaper in the long term. While it might be acceptable for an individual to use inferior tools, (tiawan), companies have had to pay because of the potential for personal injury to their employees. These injuries usually occur because the cheaper tools break, strip and even bend causing employees to suffer hurt backs, mashed fingers or other unnecessary injuries. While I personaly probably wouldnt pay $1500 for a similar set of wrenches, I also wont pay $29.95 for a cheap set of China made wrenches. I also could probably buy that same set of wrenches here locally for a much cheaper price. Snapon Has their Corp. Headquarters located here.

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

You know they're good quality, 22 bids up to almost $900. The "$1500" is probably msrp, kinda like a new car's window sticker, or when you're watching QVC late at night and they say a computer would retail for $3500, but if you call within the next 2 minutes, we'll see it to you for 5 easy payments of $29.99.

Personally, I'll buy Craftsman tools, lifetime warranty, as long as you don't leave them on the plow. :)

5. NC LawnScapes

NC LawnScapes LawnSite Member

snap on is quality BUT i CANT AFFORD EM

6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I have also ran over my eyeglasses in similar fashion...LOL ;)

7. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I buy alot of Snap On tools.. Well worth the money in my opinion :waving:

8. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

It's becasue the sizes go up to 1and 5/8. That wrench alone is probably over 50 then the next size down will be a little less and so forth. The wrench sets I bought from Snap-on were areound 300 but that was 10 years ago and that set only went from 3/8 to 7/8. I have some large wrenches sfrom Matco and they were around 45 a piece when I bought those. Man prices have gone up, I'm glad I got out of that biz when I did.

9. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I think you're missing the point here. Look at the sizes of the wrenches. They're a huge set going up to 1 5/8 inch wrench. I use Mac Tools, which are the same quality, and that isn't bad for a 24 piece set covering nuts of that size.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I wish that I had some money to buy those