$63.41 trailer gate assist w/ pics

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Grits, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Parts from Home Depot costs: $63.41 after tax

You could probably do it a little cheaper but I went as heavy duty as I thought I could get away with.

The pics aren't the best because I have a crappy camera and I was outside at night. But here they are anyway.

I used a 160 lb spring, the biggest they had.

I fabricated the pulley set-up. I bought 2 awning pulleys and grinded the rivet off so I would have just the "wheel" part. I took some flat stock and cut to size and mounted the 2 "wheels" in it.

I used 1/4" cable with the coating on it. 3 clamps on each end with thimbles.
    5/16" chain and quick links.

Galvanized fence post for spring housing.

Spots of it are in primer right now awaiting the finish coats of black.

The cable does rub the corner a little bit when the gate is down. I will probably get a pulley and install it recessed in the corner. I'll figure something out.

It works pretty good. I can't lift the gate with one finger like they show in the ads of all the retail lifts. But I can easily lift and lower with one hand and it will definitely be a back saver. Lots better than spending 3 times as much for one!!

2. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good, Except for one thing.

That cable doesn't look good rubbing on the trailer like that.
  3. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

Thats awesome. I love fabricating things up myself. I will be adding that to the list of things to do. Why did you use chain where it attaches near the gate? Why not just run the cable the whole way. Also I have a trailer and the top rail instead of angle iron is a 2.5" round tube stock. I wonder if I could house the spring right inside of that?
  4. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

yeah I would move the pully back a ways. You wont be disapointed in haveing the gate assist. First thing I do with a new trailer is put one on. Makes such a big difference.
  6. Grits

from Florida

I know. I have an idea on how to remedy that problem. Just couldn't do it tonight....it got too late.
  7. Grits

from Florida

I used chain because that enables you to adjust the tension very easily for fine tuning it.

Heck yeah. You should definitely be able to use your trailer's top rail to put the spring inside. That would make for a very clean set-up.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yep. Just move the pulley hanger back a little bit, and you will clear the back of the trailer. This is one of the measurements we always have to make when we do the measurements of trajectory of where the gate swing/cable connection is going to be located. We always put the cable as far down toward the end of the gate as possible (more lift leverage) without exceeding the maximum amount of length-stretch the spring is supposed to have (every spring has a length rating). Looks good thogh! Nice job!
  9. Grits

from Florida

Fixed the rubbing.
    Funny thing is, that is where I had tack welded it to begin with and moved it! Why?.....I thought for some reason it would be better back further????? BrainFart!!

Here's pics of the improvement.

fixed pulley.jpg
  10. Grits

from Florida

Yeah, it takes a little tinkering with it to tune it where it needs to be. I got it now, though. I was hoping to be able to lift i with my foot, but it is still too heavy to do that. But I can easily lift it with one hand and minimum effort.