65 to 70 acres

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southscape, Feb 28, 2005.

1. southscape

southscape LawnSite Member
    from NC

Some of you guys mowing large acreage........I've got a question. I've recently picked up 65-70 acres (40 acres of ballfields and 25-30 acres common ground) to mow per week and I'm trying to figure out what equipment to buy to mow this. I've been mainly residential and small commercial for the last couple of years. I'm now looking into much larger sites to grow the business. Just to give you an idea of my current setup......mowers include a 48" Exmark Turf Tracer HP and a 60" Gravely 260z plus sticks, blowers, etc.

Now, I've talked to several different vendors and they all have their pitch as to what's 'best'. I've considered a couple different options:

1. Add 1 72" mower to my current setup.
    2. Add 2 60" mowers to current setup.

Also add any handheld equipment necessary. No need to worry about transport of equipment as I have plenty of vehicles to manage this.

My question to all of you is of the two options above, what do you think would be the most practical for this application or would you suggest something else?

As always, I appreciate the input.

Sean Stanley

2. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

its easy 2 60s will out cut one 72.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'd go with the 2 60's too...you might be limited with the 72" on other jobs you have whereas 60's are fairly universal.

4. southscape

from NC

That's kind of what I was thinking. Would it make sense to buy one of each?

5. JKOOPERS

ditto on what rodfather said

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I would have to review all my other jobs to substantiate that combo or not...only you can do that IMO.

7. southscape

from NC

I see the sense in buying the 2 60s as they are definitely more of a universal mower. I'm thinking I might buy the 72" when I get the next large tract.

What do you think is the best bang for your buck for the mowers. I'm getting the efi engine pushed on me rather hard, but from what I've read, there have been issues with them. Another consideration would be fuel economy. Would the diesel really save much over the course of a year or do you just run a simple air cooled engine?

8. 430 boy

430 boy LawnSite Member

If i had a 65 70 acre I get a wide area mower. Doesn't matter weather it a deere, jacobsen, ransom, howard price or toro. yes zero turn are fast in average condition but a W.A.M. very big appetite for grass which ideal for large compound. A lot of bigger city will run this size of machine. WAM's are normal 40-80hp and cut from 9 to 16 foot at a time. If you are look to buy new or used one be prepare to spend between 8,000 to 52,000.

9. southscape

from NC

how do WAMs handle hills?

10. JKOOPERS

liquid cooled would last longer . i would personally get 2 60" exmark lazer z liquid cooled they come with 27 kaw. you could be cutting over 6.5 acres a hour.