$6500 walk behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Indiana, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

Priced a 60" Exmark ECS hydro walk behind yesterday. New with the Kawasaki 23 HP. Told me $6500.00

Are you kidding? I guess I'm not with it. Seems like alot of money for a walk behind.

2. Old 5 LawnCare

Old 5 LawnCare LawnSite Member

Thats actually a good price.

I paid $6,600.00 for my 52" TT with 23hp Kohler back in March.

Of cours thats before the mulch kit, the Proslide and 3 extra sets of blades.

3. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I guess I didn't know what to expect....

I should of. I paid about $3000 for my Husky 4814 gear walk behind with a 48" deck.

Been thinkin' of a bigger deck to get done quicker. I'm mowing some big stuff right now. Also want a hydro to be more manuevable.

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

You can buy a good 60" ZTR for $6500.00........

5. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I have a Walker "T" 20 hp w/ 48" GHS deck and a 48" SD deck & my Husky 48" gear walk behind.

I want more speed and cut & most of my properties are sloped to the degree that a Lazer or Dixie would "probably" have trouble.

My Walker does alot but most of the time my walk behind has to do the slopes.

6. Should be about $300 less for the better Kohler engine.

Kawisaki's cost Exmark more money. If your dealer don't drop the $300 he's scamming you.

This mower is a far cry from your Husky gear drive. It will out cut it, out maneuver it, and out produce it day in day out.

7. What?

A good ZTR is a whole lot different than a great ZTR like an Exmark Lazer.

8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, that is true. Actually it takes longer to build a WB than a ZTR. I believe part of the problem is the assembly lines for the ZTR are a bit more modern, while the WB assembly lines basically haven't changed for many years.
    Now may also be a good time look at the new Hustler super WB, since they can be bought for well under $6,000.

Actually, they will be a revamping of the complete WB market. Shortly, everyone will be offering hydro WB’s with the less expensive “IZT” pump/motor combo as the propulsion drive, reflecting an inexpensive cost. Some manufacturers already have these. The standard WB’s as we know them, with a separate high-end rebuild-able pump and motor, will become the Cadillac of the WB line and will be available at a premium price.
    Then, as we can already see, the high-end WB’s and better ZTR’s will be approximately equal in cost.

9. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I am happy with my Husky gear drive, but it does have it's limits. This year with the rain and overgrowth has really pushed the limits of wet belts and clogged deck. The past few years summer growth has been dry and managable. This year is a whole different story. Seven to ten days schedules are the limits to even the poorest lawn around here.

I would like more speed and a "true" reverse. Also, want to be rid of pistol grips and numb wrists.

10. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

By LGF- "A good ZTR is a whole lot different than a great ZTR like an Exmark Lazer."

I bought a 52" 23 Kawi Lazer HP for $6850 this past winter.