66" Deck Wheelbase

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtkplc, Jan 11, 2006.

1. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I'm wondering if the 2 new 66" decks; XR-7 from Hustler and the Triton of Exmark have a new frame that has the tires near the edge of the deck or if they just put the 66" deck on the same frame as the 60" deck.

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

good question

3. EXspyguy

EXspyguy LawnSite Member

I'll measure my 66 and see how it compares to a 60. I know the front wheels are spresd apart further than a 60 but unsure of the rears. I'll get back to you soon. Although my 66 is on the XS chasis and may be different from a standard 60.

4. jtkplc

I was able to answer part of my question, I found some data on Hustler's 66" mowers. Here it is:

60 inch Deck
    Overall width: 61 inches w/discharge chute up
    Tire-to-tire width: 52 inches

66 inch Deck
    Overall width: 67 inches w/discharge chute up
    Tire-to-tire width: 59 inches

This means that the deck hangs past the tires 4.5 inches on the 60" deck and 4 inches on the 66" deck. So at least with the Hustler, there is a different wheelbase/frame for the 66".

Hustler 66 XR-7.jpg

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Length wise, Hustler has a new longer frame across the board on their '06 Z's.

They did this in order to facilitate the common style striping roller.
    Now there is room for it between the deck and the tires.

I think they should have just left well enough alone with the length and took some notes from Lesco on this one...

But I'd still like to jump on one of these badboys.
    Overall, they are much improved.

6. jtkplc

Do you know the engine options for the 06' Hustlers? I've been trying to find some info on it and I can't. I thought I read somewhere about a 28HP Cat Diesel for 06'. That would be sweet on the 66" deck.

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I seen the new 66" Triton at my dealers on Monday. The deck sticks out very nice for trim cutting. There is a recut baffel under the deck that needs to go. There is at least 2" of wasted space between the baffel and the front of the deck. Didn't compare it to a 60" deck.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Same engines set of engine options as always, except they are adding the 30hp Kohler and they did a total changeover on the liquid cooled model. It now has the sweet new vertical shaft 26hp liquid cooled kawi.

As for the Super Z Diesel, yup 28hp Cat, but I haven't heard if it was getting th XR-7 treatment yet.

9. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I think they centered up the deck on the frame so you only get a 3" overhang with the 66" deck. It looks like it too from the picture from above the mower.

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

so do we have a power plant choice