66" exmark quality/height of cut issue

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by johnyredd99, May 21, 2013.

1. johnyredd99

johnyredd99 LawnSite Member
    from gap,pa

I have a 66" exmark. that until recently cut fine. I have noticed that the quality of cut is horrible and sometimes tall grass is left bent over between second and third blade.
    Also the height of the cut has dropped greatly. where is now when I used to set at 3.5" is now cutting at 2.5"
    any help with this or ideas of whats going on would be great.
    Thank you

2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Is the grass heading out I know here it heading out growing super fast and when grass heads out it
    tougher to cut

3. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Is this mower new to you? You have the triton deck which a lot of people had cut quality issues with it.

4. johnyredd99

johnyredd99 LawnSite Member
    from gap,pa

no the mower is going on around 5-6 seasons with me. I know that the quality of cut with the triton was never comparable to other decks but I don't understand why the height of the cut would change along w/ quality.
    Today the quality of cut was much better with it being dryer out but the height of the cut is still down. when I put it in transport position im getting about 3.75 inches.
    Checked over everything I could think of.
    blades, spindles, pulleys, belts, broken bolts

5. american dream

american dream LawnSite Senior Member

Have you checked the pitch of the deck front should be bout .25 inch lower than rear and check your rpm's you should be bout 3600 with blades spinning

6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

higher you cut at, worst cut you will get
    you get a better cut with deck closer to the ground better suction

7. Exmark PR

Exmark PR Sponsor

johnyredd99 - Can you send your contact information to exmarkpr@exmark.com so a Service Tech can discuss this with you? Thanks.

8. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

tire pressure? also i changed blades and the offset of the new blades was different. i run a 56 triton it has that little inlay where the bolt head sits it was different on new blades which lowered the cut on mine