66" exmark z

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by elmerfud, Feb 10, 2006.

1. elmerfud

elmerfud LawnSite Member

I am looking to purchase a mower for personal use to mow a 7 acre yard. I tried several mowers last year and have decided on the exmark. I had intended on buying the 60" Z with a 27HP Kohler. I see now they have a 66" mower available that is only a few hundred more dollars with the same 27HP engine. My question is whether a 66" mower will be underpowered with the 27HP Kohler.

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

No you'll have plenty of power esp. if youa re mowing weekly. Alot of guys on here are going to tell you thast you NEED like 30+ hp to mow weekly growth.
    don't buy it! I have an old Lazer w/22hp Kohler $ 60" deck, It mows everything I need it to and never struggles. My new Lazer has the 23/60 combo and it does that job as well. 27hp is plenty for a 66".

The biggest motor available on the old 72" decks were the 25Kohlers anyway.

3. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

the question may be how flat is your lawn, the 27 will push that 66 all day

4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

For personal use I couldn't see needing a massive engine. 27 HP should do fine.

5. TXLAWNBOY

TXLAWNBOY LawnSite Member

Last year I worked for a school dist. We had 2 Exmarks, 72" deck w/27hp Kohlers, we mowed all the campuses every 7 to 10 days and had no problems with bogging down. We also had a 60" w/a 27hp Koh. and it had tons of power. I don't think you'll have any problem as long as you mow every 7-14 days.

If you are going to mulch you are going to need to mow every 7 days.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

On top of that Examrk Spends thousands$$$ enginering their mowers.

Why would they throw all that $$ down the drain, and put an underpowered engine on a mower.

My point Exmark wouldn't put a motor on a mower that didn't have enough power.

Horsepower isn't everything, you could put a 20hp motor on there if you have the right pulleys for a gear ratio.

7. elmerfud

elmerfud LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I've been reading the forums and checking out mowers since last summer. I've read where some have thought the 23HP was small for the 60". I should get my mower next week but will have to wait a month or so before I can try it out. I was mowing with a 72" finishing mower behind a Kotota tractor but it was starting to damage my yard. The ztr even knocked off 1.5 hours of mowing time not counting less weedeating. Thanks again.