66" Hustler cut quality issues

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Ron's TLL, May 27, 2010.

1. Ron's TLL

Ron's TLL LawnSite Member

I demo'ed a 60" Hustler with the 31 Kaw last week and was very impressed. It would cut at full speed and leave a decent enough finish. The dealer had a 66" on the floor with the same 31 Kaw, so I bought it. I used it today for the first time, and am very disappointed. Same property, same growth, would not cut anywhere near as well as the 60". I am hoping the dealer and Hustler will exchange the mower for a 60". Anyone else run into a similar issue?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Have you talked to your dealer yet?
    I am sure they will take a look at it and find out why its doing this.
    It could be as simple as engine RPM adjustment or deck adjustment.

Pj

3. Ron's TLL

Dropped it off an hour ago. rep says there are some possible adjustments that can be made. Already checked rpm, pitch, and belt. Better, but still not nearly as good as the 60"

4. Ron's TLL

We checked and adjusted the rpm to 3800, tightened the belt, and checked deck pitch (1/4"). It cut better, but still not nearly as well as the 60" I demoed. I dropped it back off today. The rep said there are some adjustments that can be made. I hope there are as I would like to keep the 66". They are having a 60" shipped in just in case.

5. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

It's been my experience that the 66 in all ways cuts better than the 60.. I've had both so....

6. Ron's TLL

The dealer could not get the 66 to cut as well as the 60. So, I swapped mowers. The 66 also seemed underpowered with the 31Kaw, but the 60 doesn't. They delivered the new mower to me with the engine set to 3600 rpm, and the deck set with no pitch. They added in a bad attitude for free as well. I guess buying two mowers in two years doesn't earn much these days. Oh well, their are plenty of other places to spend money.

As far as how you have your's set up, do you prefer 1/4" or 1/2" pitch for the deck?

7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

My 66" XR-7 cuts as good or better than the 60's I've owned. I was cutting this afternoon after a light shower of rain as fast as the Super Z would run with absolutely no grass left standing after one pass cutting at 2.75".

8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

1/8 to 1/4, definitely not 1/2!

You would think in these tough economic times dealers would get away from treating their customers, as if they were doing them a favor by letting them buy their equipment.

I can say you should never have a power issue with the 31 on a 60" deck. I am waiting on a 36 to 40 hp efi and I will be the first to buy when it is built. I have always believed in having excess hp, I'm the kind of person that just never cares to hear the engine rpm's drop for any reason.

9. Ron's TLL

What blades, deck pitch, and baffle setting are you guys using? Double blades? Thanks

10. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm running 1/4 positive pitch, Factory fusions (no doubles). My only complaint with my 31's is I can't get the rpm's I want, I'm maxed at 3650-3670.. I told my dealer 3750 before I wrote the check, he said they were surging north of 3700.. I tried to adjust myself after 100 hrs...... he was right!! I feel I'm losing some QOC with the slower rpm, although the 31 holds it better than my efi would.

I hope you have the "B" Deck if not that's your prob.