$675.00 to overseed Zoisia?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Armadillolawncare, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have never overseeded a property this large. Does this seem reasonable. The purpose of the overseeding is to have a green yard during the winter months.

I measured the turf areas at 33,000 +/- sq. ft
    I am applying seed using a slit seeder at a rate of 10# per 1000
    I will also spread starter fert

I am charging 360.00 for 300 lbs of perennial rye seed.
    Starter fert will be 40.00
    Slit seeder rental 75.00
    5 hrs labor 200.00
    Total $675.00

I will mow the turf as low as I can. Then begin slit seeding in two directions followed by an application of starter fert. I will then irrigate daily, once in the AM and once in the PM as local regulations allow.
    In the past I have always just broadcast my seed over low cut bermuda and then repeated the broadcast in two to three weeks in areas that looked thin to get a full looking yard. I do not know about broadcasting over the Zoisia and since this is a high end model home for a builder I want it to come in full on first try which is why I am using the slit seeder. Comments would be welcome.

2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

thats a 1200 - 1400 dollar job ! Dont cheat yourself ! see ya George

3. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

You are rediculously cheep. I would charge my own mother more than that. labor alone for 5 hours is 300. You have to water? two times a day? Don't charge your cost for seed and starter if you have to go get it. I charge 27 - 30 for every 1,000 ft2. I would add the rental to that. $1065.00 is my bid. $966.00 if they are eating out of a dumpster.

4. Armadillolawncare

Thanks for the help guys. Based on your comments I have adjusted my price up a good bit.

5. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks what were here for have fun George

6. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

At least 1200 to 1400

7. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

You are going to lose that bid going any higher then $700 for seasonal rye grass. Thats less then a acre, and I cant see charging anymore then $200 per 1/4 acre for seasonal rye grass. Good luck!

8. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

Correct me if i'm wrong. Around here, planting rye grass is a punishable offense since it is so juicy and fast growing that it requires double cutting and blowing each week. People use to seed annual rye on their fescue here until they learned that fescue stays green enough months and that annual rye stifles the fescue.

When we planted RYE grass, it didn't seem to need dethatching for soil contact. That junk would come up in sidewalk cracks.

This guy said that he was going to dethatch and seed 33,000 sq ft. Anytime I dethatched anything, I had a dump truck full of thatch to rake up. For a 5 hour PIA job like that, I'd need $600 plus $ 150 for fertilizer and double whatever seed costs plus dup fee for the thatch.

9. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Rye reminds me of Bermuda, it will grow anywhere.

10. Armadillolawncare

Just to give you an update. I raised the price to $850.00 and got the go ahead to get started. Thanks again for the help.