$68 deck belt

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tinman, Sep 29, 2004.

1. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Got a local Dealer ( used 52 inch Husquvarna I bought from my friend came from him) who charged me $68 for a deck belt. It is a long belt but that is ridiculous, but I am way behind so I paid for it because my Chopper is in shop also (rough week!). Looked in my J Thomas book when I got home.... same belt $29.99. Nothing wrong with charging a good price but more than double what is normal??????
    Anybody else got jacked up like this?
    From now on I think I'll pay for next day shipping or rent a mower if I'm in a bind rather than buy anything from him.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Hey, don't rent a mower. I did that last week (long story, don't ask). Anyway, everything I rented I promptly brought back, useless beat up POS equipment. Is J Thomas aftermarket I imagine. Used to buy aftermarket belts at my old job, they never held up nearly as long as the real deals.

I think my next career will be in "Belt Manufacturing"
  3. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

you might want to try napa next time...they can match almost any v-belt out there and prob will even be cheaper than j-thomas...
  4. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Napa is good, got a belt for the leaf collector attatchment there last year. Stopped there first, but they did not have one (very long belt). I told the guy I would have to go to the local Mower Dealer, and he said "I feel sorry for you". Pretty much everybody knows how he is.
  5. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

OEM will alway charge more!! DOn tcomplain at the dealer, complain at the OEM!!!

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I once bought a $41 gas cap for my Exmark Metro...$12 for the cap, $29 for bouncing the check (oops). Still pains me to this day.
  7. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

what was the part number on the belt if you don't mind my asking.
  8. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We get all of our Dixie belts from NAPA, the part #'s are on the deck. All you need is the length and if they don't have it they can usually get it for you the next day.
  9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Yep I saved $10 on a belt just last week at NAPA. Just give them the OEM Number and they can cross ref it. If they don't have it in the store but stock it they can also normally have it for you the next day at no addded cost and they are Gates Belts.
  10. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

go to NAPA like everyone else said they have all kinda of mower belts and parts and they are just as good as anyting else. plus they are alot cheaper i had the same situation some of yall have dealer price was like $58 at napa it was $22 havent had any problems out of the belts ive bought from them.