Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric ELM, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

It is amazing what a guy can start thinking about while out mowing and this thread isn't what your probably thinking. I got to figuring out how many times I've changed the oil on my Kohler 22 HP and the oil change that should take place around this weekend, will be the 69th time. I have never changed oil on one that many times, and just wanted to let others know the old Kohlers will last awhile. :D

2. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

how many hours ya got on that one eric? Is this it's first life, or has it been rebuilt? talk to me about your total cost of ownership on that baby. gimme aquisition cost, tires, repairs, gas, whole bit. you may have to estimate, but I am curious about your total operating cost per hour to date. please brag to me o great stripe and chopper god. Dave g

3. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Eric, Get your mind out of the gutter!

4. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Dave G's had too much caffeine:)

That is an impressive figure, for many reasons:)

5. crs

crs LawnSite Member

Eric,

I know what you mean by being amazed at what you think about while working. Here are some of the things I have wondered about on those long hot days out in the sun: Where does all the rubber from tires go? You would think it would pile up on the side of the road. What happens to those little pieces of trimmer line that get cut off when you bump the head on the ground? (I mean after they hit you on the bare leg) Why do the people with the most money want the cheapest service. Why do little old ladies that want thier yard cut every two ans sometimes three weeks insist that it be cut on friday so it will look good for the weekend? Why are little old ladies such a pain in the butt? (Yes, I need some more commercial properties) What exactly does lol mean? Lots of luck, little old lady, or???? What am I doing working long hot days out in the sun?

Well these are just a few of the less bizzare things that I think about.

How about the rest of you guys?

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

David, It is the original motor and it now has 3,430 hours on it, so the 69th will be at 3,450 hours. I have worn down 2 sets of tires on the back, $75 for the rim and tire filled with stop leak. I've replaced the front tires at least 3 times, $18 each. I had the dealer replace an intake manifold gasket $40. He also replaced a couple moduals and a spindle bearing set on one spindle, it was a fuzz loose. That bill was over $100, but I can't remember how much. I replaced the seat after they came out with the more comfy one. It was $300. I replaced the muffler, getting a fuzz noisy for me. ;) It was about $150 I think. Other than that, it was just normal things, belts, plugs, oil, filters, ect.

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Ok you have to tell us how do you know its the 69th time? it will be interesting to see how many people veiw this thread lol.

8. CLARKE

CLARKE LawnSite Member

Well lets see you should,, i do eric does change your
    oil every 50 hours, so 3450 :-by 50 =69 or 69x50=3450.:angel:

9. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

you just have to change the oil every 50 hours. in the spring we change it every 40 if it was a tough week.

things i think about when i cut is about my x-girlfriend.

10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Oh, nevermind, wasn't what I thought it was going to be........