6x10 trailer big enough?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mattydjakd, Feb 13, 2004.

1. mattydjakd

mattydjakd LawnSite Member

hey guys,
    Did a search on this but didn't really get any concrete answers....and im not looking to hear that I should get the biggest trailer I can, but I am just curious to konw about what i can fit on a 10' long trailer....can 2 walkbehinds fit on this...I do not have any mowers yet, so I cant really get a good idea. I will be doing about 6 - 10 lawns, and am only going to use one mower, but just in case for some reason i have to cart a second walk behind around, i would just like to know. Gonna get a 52" scag hydro walk behind. Thanks

2. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

You'll be diappointed with a 10' Go 12' minimum.

3. mattydjakd

thakns for the quick reply, but I really just want to know if 2 will fit on there.

4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

It will be very tight! I too would atleast go with a 12 minimum. If you can afford it and plan to grow in the least little bit go with a 16ft minimum!!! I have mostly 16fts and wish I had even bigger, and we only carry 2 walkbehinds but when you add the push mower, push blower and some other things you loose space fast!

5. mattydjakd

Ok guys, so the answer is YES, 2 will fit (even though i have no plans of getting 2 mowers).....for my 6 lawns, one mower is good enough for me, I just wanted to know in case i had to pick up a loaner and drop one off or something like that.....so I am assuming that 2 will fit in a pinch, gate up and all

6. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, I would think so, and if they have a problem fitting forward you could always back them on or turn them sideways.

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

If they have velkys on them they may not fit it is really that tight. You have exactly 5 feet for each mower certain brands may fit and certain brands may not. My suggestion to you buy your trailer to fit your mowers not your mowers to fit your trailer. Get a tape measure and head on down to your power equipment dealer and find out exactly how long the mower is caster to handle bars assume you will want to not have to walk your whole life so the $200 for a velky will be something your do soon ask to see one and measure that. Mowers will over lap a little but with the back one you get no such benefit and if the front one has the ability to ride it will remove most of that benefit when its folded up as well. If the numbers are over 10 feet you got your answer.

8. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

It depents on the mowers. what deck sizes adn brand, Hydro or belt (this all effect the length of the mower). The best thing to do is draw a 6'x10' rectangle on the ground and try to fit the two mowers in it. remember you have to be able to close the gate. I am going with a 12 ft long trailer for my two walkbehinds(48"hustler superwb and 36' lesco belt wb) and it is going to be very tight. I might have to take the sulky off every time or turn the 36" sideways.

9. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it should fit. I carried two scags with sulkies on a 14' with more then four feet left over. I was able to chain up the sulky on the front mower so the rear mower went as far under the controls as possible. I didn't have to chain up the rear sulky but I suspect you will need to.

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Gonna be a tight fit, my advice go with a 12foot trailer, less head ache and the cost shouldnt be much, turning a mower side ways or having to back one on and have handle bars hanging over is a drag and something to walk into and get hurt, my 2 cents worth