6x12 or 6x14?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TONTAGE, Apr 11, 2010.

1. TONTAGE

TONTAGE LawnSite Member
    from CT

buying a trailer this week,been looking at the big tex open trailers,should i go with 6x12?or 6x14? these are both single axle.as far as what im gonna put on there is a 52" turf tiger with 3 bagger and maybe down the road a 48" WB.for the extra 2 feet it's an extra 300 bucks.your thoughts?
    thanks in advance
    tontage

2. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

your trailer will never be big enough. You will always wish you had an extra two feet. I would go as big as you can if you can afford it.

3. TONTAGE

TONTAGE LawnSite Member
    from CT

LOL,I hear ya.thanks for the reply

4. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Always go bigger, you will need the room. You will kick yourself if you don't.

5. get a tandem axle.

6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Good suggestion.

7. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

i agree :clapping:

8. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

Someone told this to me the other day!!! And I've been telling it to ppl now, my trailer is just about perfect for me, if anything it could be wider! 56" mower just barely fits on a five for wide trailer, and I have to take the bagging blade off though! Which is annoying!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I picked up a single axle, 6.5 by 14. Love it, pulls nice, wanted a tandem for the extra weight capacity and brakes, but didn't need it and am happy with the single axle. Mine has the pipe top rail and does not flex like my angle iron did. Makes a big difference in that long of a single axle.

10. LewisLawn

LewisLawn LawnSite Senior Member

on my 6.5x12 I put a 52" ZTR and a 48" WB and still have room for a 21" push mower. I think you will be fine....if you are going to spend more money go for tandem and breaks....