6x12 trailer big enough?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by flyingdutch16, Aug 13, 2012.

1. S-205

S-205 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ontario

The worst thing you can do is by a 14 and then realize you should have spent the few extra hundred bucks to get a 16. It might work for you right now, but you need to think about what will happen in the future, if you'll be adding more equipment.

2. Carolina Greens Turfcare

Carolina Greens Turfcare LawnSite Member

14 footer would be the smallest I would think, but I would want at least at 16 footer. There is always going to be something else you will want to put in that trailer.

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Whatever you get pony up a few extra bucks for brakes. That's a bit of weight to stop especially with a half ton truck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I'd go with at least a 14 or a 16 if you plan to upsize and get more equipment down the road...dual axel and breaks are a good idea as well
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

Depends if it's open or enclosed. A 60" will not fit in a 6x12 enclosed. I've tried it... If I was getting amber trailer I'd go with a 7x14 or 7x16

6. juspayme

juspayme LawnSite Senior Member

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

This is overkill IMO. For a single ZTR and WB anything over 16ft is just pulling weight and wasting gas. Not to mention parking issues. I wouldn't pull a 20ft with anything less than a one ton. I rarely see residential guys pulling more than a 7x16 here. But if you feel the need for a full shop with a fridge go for it.

8. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with a 16' dual axle. You could probably get away with a 12' but two 60" mowers are pretty heavy on one axle. Plus you might get in a situation where you'll be needing three mowers, now you're set with the 16'.

9. S-205

S-205 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ontario

Seriously consider your route before you buy a trailer, my 8x16 enclosed can be a bit of a pain in the ass, and I turn around in peoples driveways frequently and its tough when you can't see behind you. I took my 6x12 and Tacoma to do it last week and its amazing how much less stress a small rig and a single axle is to maneuver, visibility especially.

10. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

you want to go with at least a 7 x 16 i have a 6 x 12 now and will be buying a 7 x 16 in the spring i have a 56" lazer with the ultra vac and it just fits in with about 1" on each side of it. with a 60 no vac will fit in a 6' wide. eventually i want to get a 8.5 x 18 enclosed. Also go with the dual axle. 2 ztr's and your over weight on a 3500 lb axle. dirt and stone weight adds up real quick. i wouldnt get one with a gvw under 7000 ideally your looking for a 10,000 gvw a lot of the 7000 use angle for the frame and are just not strong enough the 10000 usually use channel, tube or ibeam frame. you dont want to be limited by your trailer. IMO