1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

6x16 trailer new on ebay $1200..OPINIONS??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by kevin11946ny, May 20, 2007.

1. kevin11946ny

kevin11946ny LawnSite Member

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, that is a pretty good price on that.
  3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Thats an excellent price. As for fuel mileage, the heavier the trailer the more the mileage will suffer.
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

good price if construction is halfway decent. You will need to upgrade to trailer brakes and re-do the wiring because of it. That'll add another couple hundred to the pricetag plus shipping.
  5. FiveOJoe

FiveOJoe LawnSite Member
    from NJ

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I can't believe that size trailer doesn't have brakes!!!
  7. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

look at how long the tounge is it could be a problem in time with heavy weight sititng on the front of the trailer like a WB or a Z
  8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 6x16' tandem axle trailer and even when its fully loaded up I don't have any problem stopping. I don't have brakes on my trailer but my Dodge 250 has over sized brakes and heavy duty tow package. My trailer cost me $975.00 out the door from the manufacturer.
  9. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

2 Things:
    It is hard to tell if the tongue "wraps" back to the front of the fender or not, better if it does.
    The other, MAKE sure that the COUPLER is RATED for at least 7000 lbs, but I will bet it is ONLY 5000 lbs rating. Makes having 2-3500lbs axles worthless in my opinion if you can only haul about 3500 lbs or so ON the trailer.

Other than that, not to bad of a deal. I paid $1055. w/ tax for may 6"4" X 16" tandem 2 yrs ago. No brakes for that price, but wrapped tongue, 8000lb coupler, & gate.

10. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

If your going that far for a trailer keep looking. I got a 6'4"x16, dual axle, no ramps, new rims, used tires, no brakes, on e-bay from Tennises for $849.

My trailers has a 5 1/wrapped tong, This design while unable you to cut into the side rails to add a side ramp.

Gas mileage empty should not jump much. If I arm unloaded my small Ford Explores will stay in overdrive most the time. Loaded in the wind it will suck gas Petty good, but my old small v6 is working when loaded id say 2000#. Id say if you do a lot of big city heavy traffic loaded, trailer brakes are a must. Also if you pull it much loaded in the winter. that trailer load will push most any truck down the road as you are trying to stop.