1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

6x6 timber wall

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bubbazx11, Jul 15, 2004.

1. bubbazx11

bubbazx11 LawnSite Member

i am going to be biding on plans from a builder for a 6x6 wood retaining wall at a steep slope not sure of the length or hight yet but was wondering about how much to charge and the strongest way to build it

thanks brian
  2. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

sub it out for the first time...and try to get him to use walls stone instead of 6x6....they will rot out eventually

3. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

As Chuck had said try and go with a retaining wall system, it will last for pretty much ever and ever as long as built properly and not abused by plows or other freaks of nature. There seem to still be some stuborn people who wish to replace their R.R. tie walls due to the fear of change to concrete block, and I can respect that concern as you like the way things look and jus want to replace n repair.

As for building it, depending on the slope, in teirs is probably your best bet, I wouldn't go to high with the ties although you could probably use some geogrid material, as used for retaining walls for more support for a large wall, use a Q.P. compacted base and depending on your height lay your first tie below ground accordingly, use the R.R. tie nails to keep em together and back fill with 3/4 crushed stone. As a wall jus overlap each new row. I would charge $20-25/sqft. depending on difficultly.

Good Luck

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Geogrid is a good suggestion, though I've never used it in a timber wall. The way I've always used is a system of tiebacks and deadmen. There was a thread a month or two ago, it was a good thread that dealt with what those are and had several pictures. Try doing a search, it should turn something up.

I would third the suggestion to go with a block wall. They may cost a little more initially, but will last a long time. Another concern right now is the newer AC2 treatment for treated wood- no one know how long it will hold up. With the CCA, you could figure on at least 20 years for most things. With the AC2, you don't know if the timbers will last 15, 20, or even 30 years. The block walls should outlast any timber wall, providing that it is built properly from the get-go....

5. bubbazx11

bubbazx11 LawnSite Member

thanks guys the builder is trying to get off bond and the people have been in for 3 years and now they tell him that he has to install a wall so the builder just wants to do it as fast and cheep as possible
  6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Oh NO ,,,one of THOSE ;)