6'x6' treated lumber wall.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by yardatwork, Jul 10, 2013.

1. yardatwork

yardatwork LawnSite Senior Member

I do these every year. I'm old school and simply like the look of these better. With the constant freeze and thaw of Pennsylvania winters I see too many block walls that shift around here. I only build the wood walls. Here's my question...from my research I see the $20 face square foot price INCLUDING materials. Ummm... I call bs on that. I'm doing a wall now and the square face footage is 150 feet (that doesn't account for hidden deadmen)...meaning tops $3000 labor and materials...materials alone are around $2000. Digging, cutting, drilling holes, pounding rebar, measuring, deadmen digging...these things are way more labor intensive than stacking block walls, which in themselves, are super intensive. Here is a recent estimate I did...am I way off in left field or are my prices competitive? Not many guys do these anymore so the word gets around that I do. I've done a few for friends and family with rustic wooden home setting. Now their friends and familes are seeing these and wanting them too. Well...we all know that the friends and family get cut price breaks. I've never really followed a standard pricing when doing for friends and family.

76 - 6x6x8 lumber = $1596.00
    250 - 1/2"x1 foot rebar = $137.50
    2 ton 1b gravel = $44.00
    Tax = $106.65
    Delivery = $200.00
    Labor = $3420.00

Total = $5504.15

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Have no clue. No two companies have the same expenses
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Their is a lot missing in the price quote these wall were big in the 70s and 80s some of mine are still their
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Stillwater

Their is a lot missing in the price quote these wall were big in the 70s and 80s some of mine are still their
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

Hummm. The only course i use rebar (1/2" x 2') on is the first. After that it's all Timbermate 10" hex head screws. Tremendous time saver!!! Can always back em out if you need to tweak a timber. The extra money spent on them over rebar doesn't even come close to the labor savings.

6. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

Around $0.90 a piece when you get a box of 250.

7. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Plus when they rot out in 10 years, you can redo them!
    How long will it take you?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Stillwater

What's the 12 inches of rebar for
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your paying way to much for the lumber.

10. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer LawnSite Member

I don't think so. How much do you buy it for?