6x6 wood retaining wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by marionlandscape, Jun 16, 2008.

1. marionlandscape

marionlandscape LawnSite Member

ok guys I need some opinions on this one. this wall is not my design and I am kind of skeptical about building it this way. it is using 6x6 timbers most are 4' sections. the wall stair-steps at both ends. the max height is 8 timbers. the first course is buried along with part of the second. It is built on a base of 57's with no other drainage. it has a slight outside curve. there is a 1/2" batter and every 2' a 5/8 rebar is driven through and 2' into the ground. this wall is retaining a decent size hill primarily clay. what do you think?

IMAG0079.jpg

Attached Files:

2. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

it might hold with the re bar.if that clay starts to move nothins gonna hold it

3. flykelley

flykelley LawnSite Member

I did one years ago about 6 ft high, I used 6x6 timbers 8 ft long. Buried the first course and every 3 rows I place a eight ft dead man every 16-20 ft. After 3 ft high I steeped the wall back 3 ft and then up the last three ft with dead mans just like the first 3 ft. That was 15 years ago and the wall is still nice and straight. Also I did a wall at the same house about 10 ft high and 35 ft long so they had a level spot to build a garage. I step each row back 1 inch and deadmans like the other wall. I think it has to do with the 1 inch step on every row and of course the deadmans.

Regards Mike

4. marionlandscape

I should also mention that no deadmen have been figured into this as of yet. we have talked about pouring a couple of concrete pillars and attaching them to the back via lag bolts

5. shethinksmytractors_sexy

shethinksmytractors_sexy LawnSite Member

i wouldent do it. there gonna rot eventually and someones goin to have to rebuild it. wood is not designed to hold weight back. talk em in to segmented block. it will pay off in the long run and looks a hell of alot better

6. marionlandscape

if you guys don't think this wall will work I will present the idea of a segmented wall to them

7. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

The wall will hold fine as long as you have sufficient drainage material and a good base, and you have alot of tiebacks. Otherwise you are wasting your time and your clients money.

8. skidster32

skidster32 LawnSite Member

i agree, their needs to be dead men in the wall..if their are none in the original design, then they need to be worked into the design. also i dont see why the wall wouldnt hold if their is proper drainage and a solid base...

9. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

6x6 walls will work if built properly. In fact I still think they have there place. As with any wall you need to take care of the water problem/s...if you don't do that forget it, I don't care how well you build it, its coming down.

As for your idea about the lag bolts...we just starting demoing this week to replace with a SRW. We weren't sure what was holding it up...it had eye bolts with coated cable and concrete poured into the cable a few feet back into the hillside. The cable and the concrete held but the eye bolt rusted right out and broke loose.

10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

here are two pics of what I was referring to.

Tieback_6x6_LS.jpg

wall_6x6_LS.jpg