1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

$7.00 per week lawn cutting !!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Metro Lawn, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, I am shaking.. I am so mad. Just had a guy knock on my door which displays a "no soliciting" sign. He asks me would I be interested in having my lawn cut for $7 a week? I almost fall over. As I direct him out to the drive where one of our trucks and enclosed trailers is parked. I then proceed to ask him about his insurance..huh? workmans comp...huh? city permit...huh? Just as I figured. Trying my best to just not go off like some crazy person, I explain the principles of this business and why you can't charge $7 a week. By the time I get done, he is about in tears and says, "well maybe I need to get some things together before I do anything else". I watch him walk down the street and get in his car and drive off. He had no sales material, no cards, nothing but a spiral binder tucked under his arm. I just had to laugh. Geez, I need a drink..lol :drinkup:
  2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Educating scrubs.....one at a time.

I feel your pain. Let's hope he gets his **** together before he goes out and does this again.

So, was this a kid or young guy? Did you ask him about the equipment he is using?

3. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

for my reading please, i would like to know your sq. foot of your lawn so i could get a better picture of this guy coming up to price the lawn.....

anyways w/a $7 charge you could sub this guy some drop gate jobs ($20-25) and make thousands of dollars off of him..... $25-$7= $18 you could make w/o doing anything!! :rolleyes:

what do you mean this guy did not have any sales material?
  4. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Here is a run down of this guy. African American, about 35 - 40. Clean cut but not very confident in speaking. Plans to use home owner equipment. Oh, and says.. "I don't plan on going big time or anything"

Our lawns here are small, around 3000 sq ft. Average in this area is about $16.00 These are the kind that you can do in about 6 minutes start to finish. We generally average about 8 an hour with a 2 man crew and drive time.
  5. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

I would have told him to go ahead and mow it.
  6. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I hate to tell you this METRO. Here in Chattanooga Tn there's a LCO with the name Metro that under cuts prices every day. They under bid me on one account by 50,000.00
  7. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

looks to me like Metro got an evil twin running around in another state :rolleyes:
  8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

You should have hired him. He said he was planning on using the home owners equipment, hand him a pair of scissors and say "git er done".
  9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

So @ $7 for 6 Minutes Work he's Making Better than $1 per Minute...Let's Say he Lines up 8 In a Row.... W/that Price he Will....Now He's $70 per hr....Even if He Keeps it around $40-$45 per hr....that's Not Bad w/his Low Low Overhead....
  10. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I think he means 6 minutes with a 2 man crew.