7 1/2 plow

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by pcs, Mar 2, 2001.

1. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

Is a 7 1/2 foot plow to small to put on a new F-250?
  2. SDF250

SDF250 LawnSite Member

go 8 8.5 or 9 / 8 if you do alot of res. 8.5 -9 for large drives or lots the truck can handle the weight
  3. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

No, but 8ft or 8.5 would be a better choice for the wide axle's in that truck.
  4. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

I was just woundering because I all ready have a 7 12
  5. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

PCS, do you have the fram for the truck?
  6. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

A few things to consider in making your decision:

One thing to keep in mind is your intended application for the plow. If you will be doing residential driveways, a smaller blade will be handier for getting in & around tight areas.

If you're going to be clearing larger lots, then the wider blade is the way to go.

Wheelbase of your truck is another consideration. The wider your turning radius, the more likely you will end up with your rear wheels running in unplowed snow when working around a corner or curved driveway. A wider blade will help reduce this.

Obviously, the $$$ factor has to be taken into account too. Since you already have the plow, I would say use it if it will fit your intended application. If not, look around for a wider one. With the end of winter approaching, you may be able to find some good deals on used plows - just check them over really closely and look for signs of obvious abuse.
  7. MusGuy

MusGuy LawnSite Member

That is my philosophy, do what you need to do and in the limits of the truck
  8. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

As an owner of several Fords:

If you buy a 7.5' you will want to kill yourself.
    If you buy an 8' you will hate yourself.

If you buy and 8.5' or 9' you will be happy.

With ford's big turning radius, you need a wider blade.

9. Rob

Rob LawnSite Member

I have a 7.5 ft Curtis on my 2000 F250 and think it works pretty well. I only plow residential accounts many of which have cars, obstacles, or Belguim Block lining them which is why I went with the smaller plow. As others have pointed out, it is just about the same size as the wheelbase, so an 8 or 8.5 would get you better coverage and you won't be driving on the snow while you make turns. I needed the smaller width so I went with it. I think the best advise would be to take a good luck at what type of applications you are going to be using the truck for and go from there.
  10. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

Geoff - he already has the 7'6".