7.3 Diesel Mileage

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by pjnlandscape, Mar 7, 2012.

1. pjnlandscape

pjnlandscape LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy my first dump truck to replace my dump insert which is useless because it is a 6', whoda thunk? So anyway my best possibility around is a 94 ford F350 with a 7.3 Powerstroke, Does anybody know what my average mpg is gonna be in that size truck with that motor?

2. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Are you sure it's a 7.3 powerstroke? Just because it has a turbo doesn't mean it's a powerstroke.

3. nickslawnltd

nickslawnltd LawnSite Member

My 94 has a 7.3 no turbo, plus I didn't think the power stroke existed back then. As for mileage I couldnt tell you. I don't put enough km a year on it to worry bout it.

4. unkownfl

1994 is a funny year three different engines. 7.3idi non turbo 7.3 direct injection still uses a injection pump like a isi and then the powerstroke which is rare and has the electric fuel pedal and electric pump.

The powerstroke should get you around 15mpg with a light loaded dump I had a regular bed and lawn trailer. The 7.3idi usually got me about 12-15 pulling the lawn rig. I never had a 7.3di turbo. All of mine had manual transmissions.

5. pjnlandscape

Well in that case I don't know what it is the ad just said diesel so I assumed Powerstroke, I forgot 94 was a weird year It doesn't say non turbo which people usually specify but in any case if I can get 12-15 out of it I will be happy!

6. unkownfl

Honestly I'd rather have the non turbo or the di turbo over the powerstroke. Don't get me wrong the 7.3 powerstroke is a good engine but anything ever happens to the fuel system it's a grand in parts almost every time.

7. nickslawnltd

nickslawnltd LawnSite Member

Yeah I've I'm not a huge fan of the power stroke either. I had a 02 250 that I flogged at 80'000 and couldn't have been happier to see go. I was out of warranty on years and had everything from injectors, turbo trouble, electrical problems, other odd issues that would just appear and disappear, then to top it off I got that infamous little problem of a rotting oil pan:hammerhead: anyways if I go diesel again it will be a dura max. Other than mt dumper now with the old 7.3idi. Seems to hold up well lack of turbo makes it a bit of a dog but really I don't need to be out racing around running loads

8. pjnlandscape

So I have moved on now I am positive this next truck I am looking into is a 7.3 Powerstroke not an IDI or any other 7.3 liter diesel. Its a 97 with no rust, and the interior is mint. Thoughts?

9. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

I used to have a 97' F250. My 7.3 crapped out at about 180K. For 97' the 5.9 12 valve was a much better engine. Lots of guys today still prefer the 12 valve for building up sled pulling trucks with a 1000 hp or more. The problem with the 12 valve trucks is the guys who bought them run them for 300K or more until there is nothing left to sell.