7.3 high miles vs 6.0 high miles?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TrinityELC, Jan 2, 2014.

1. TrinityELC

TrinityELC LawnSite Member

Hey guys I bought an 1999 F550 6 speed manual with a 16 foot box last year to replace my fallen Fuso. It was an awesome deal, but it has 250k and long wheelbase. I put an L pack on and the dump body from my old Fuso. The body didn't quite fit because the Mitsubishi had a narrower frame. So, it's been sitting for months!!! On the other hand I bought a cab chassis 2004 F350 with 6.0 317k and with one injector, wiper problems, it runs AWESOME!!!! I tried to sell the 550 with no takers as of yet. I looked into chopping the frame down and putting on a 10 foot dump or something but chopping would be about 2k, and with a dump my investment would go up a bit. I know folks are partial to the 7.3 but which truck would you keep realistically? It pains me to see the 550 just sit there. The 6.0's horror stories make me want to put the 7.3 in a time capsule for judgement day.:dizzy:

2. Barnabas

Barnabas LawnSite Member

Id take the 7.3 550 It will be heavier duty and is designed for exactly what you plan to do.

3. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

I'd keep both. Find a used dump body that will fit the 550 and put it on the road. Since both trucks are high miles, it'll be nice to have a back-up if the other has to sit in the shop for a while.

4. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Scrap the 6.0. Sell your dump body. Build or find a new dump for the 7.3
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Why bother with those high miles.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. TrinityELC

:confused:

7. Barnabas

Barnabas LawnSite Member

I sold my 7.3 with 365k on it and it still ran perfect

8. zabmasonry

zabmasonry LawnSite Senior Member
    from C. VT

is the 7.3 4wd?

9. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Put a cheap flatbed on the 550 and sell it all put together. The 6.0 won't bring enough to justify selling while the 7.3 will sell at a premium if it doesn't look like a project truck. Or keep both - the 550 has a great chassis, engine, and trans. Also get an aftermarket oil cooler at the very least as preventative maintenance on the 350. A high mileage 6.0 is sometimes on the second or third motor so it could be younger than the odometer suggests. Get that oil cooler replaced asap unless it's already been done. You want an air to oil - not water to oil setup. EGR delete too if you can.

10. TrinityELC

I appreciate the the advice. I just have to cut down the frame on the 550 to fit a 10 ft body. Right now it fits an L pack and a 12 foot body, entirely too long. My 350 is all put together and we used it all last year. I'll post some pics

DSCF0436.jpg

DSCF0437.jpg

IMG_20131111_101920 (1).jpg