1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

7.3 idi fuel mileage

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by unkownfl, Jun 15, 2011.

1. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Anyone have an idea of what I should get with the newer diesel and a 7.3 idi 5 speed pulling about 4k trailer around town mowing? I'm hoping to cut my fuel down from my 9-10 mpg 4.6 3v f150. It has the 4.10 gears but should help because I drive all day under 50mph anyway. Also, any thing I should do or stay away from with this old beast?

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

They aren't bad, but not the best.

Is it a stick or auto? With a stick I would think you would get around 15 mpgs. They aren't the greatest on fuel economy, especially without the turbo.

3. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Its a stick. The way I figure if I get at least 11mpg I'm breaking even vs the gas truck anything over 11 is money in my pocket. I figure diesel is about 8% more than gas so if I get 10 mpg with a 8% increase that's 10.8. Plus I'm sure wear and tear and replacement parts mileage etc. has got to be lower than the 1/2 ton. I only have 20k miles and it needs front brakes and the transmission doesn't go into gear in the morning for a few seconds.

4. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

my '94 5 speed gets 17-18 empty. when towing the dingo it drops to maybe 14-15mpg's. great old truck.