7.3 Non-Turbo Diesel ?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by desii, Dec 28, 2006.

1. desii

desii LawnSite Member

Could anyone tell me if there are two versions of the older 7.3 non-turbo diesel engine? Or, was there a year when they changed them? I need to replace an original 7.3 in a 1994 F450. I found another 7.3, but it looks different. It says 7.3 on the valve cover and I don't believe its an even older 6.9. I found some pics of an International version that looks like the one I am purchasing. I know International made all of them, I just wanted to make sure that it will work. Is it possible that this was a bus engine or something other than a truck? It's actually coming out of a Ford truck, but I don't know what, if any, mods were done to get it in there.

Any info you have on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

In 1987 they introduced the 7.3. Its a Navistar (International). In 1994 they added the turbo. In 1995 they introduced the power stroke, turbo and a revised fuel system, including heads if I remember right.

3. desii

desii LawnSite Member

So, are there two versions of the 87-94? Or do you think I am looking at a pre 87?

4. LindblomRJ

Does the 94 have a turbo?

I am thinking they are the same. A good diesel mechanic will tell you a lot more about it.

International used both the 6.9 and 7.3 in serveral of their medium duty trucks. They should be the same motors.

5. desii

desii LawnSite Member

Maybe this will help. Here are some pics I found online. The first two are like the one I have and the second two are like the replacement that I am thinking about purchasing. Should I be concerned, or do you think it's a relatively easy swap?

They are similar, but one of the most notable differences is the location of the fuel filter. Is that a big deal and do you see any other problems?

I have seen and heard the motor run but I just want to be sure before I go forward.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you are going to replace the engine try replace it with a rebuilt if you can afford it. What is wrong with the current engine ?

The best thing you can do with a 7.3 IDI is use it for a boat anchor :laugh:

Just joking they are a good engine they did have one flaw that was they had problems with cylinder cavitation. The way to cure that is have all 8 holes sleeved you will never have a cavitation problem again. The 94 engines were set up for turbo use as Ford offered a factory turboed IDI in late 93 and 94 then the DI (PSD) came out in 94. Actually in 94 you could have ordered a 7.3 IDI NA or a 7.3 IDI turbo or a 7.3DI which only came with a 5spd.

You can get a long block 7.3 for about 3200 dollars then you add rebuilt injectors, glow plugs and rebuilt injection pump your probably looking at 5000 dollars.

7. LindblomRJ

I would think it would work. The filter brackets might be interchangable. With the 2nd engine the fuel filter location might be in the way of the A/C Compressor.

8. desii

desii LawnSite Member

The truck is used mostly in the winter and was sitting for most of the summer. When I went to drive it, I got about 5 miles and it locked up. I didn't know it at the time but the oil pan had a leak and it was empty:confused: So, now I need to fix it. It only has about 90K original miles and since I don't use it too much, I'd like to keep the repairs to a minimum, financially speaking.

9. desii

desii LawnSite Member

I was just thinking about that and I'm hoping that is the case. That I can just move some of the necessary stuff over to the other engine so that it fits a little easier.

10. LindblomRJ

Keep us posted please.