7.3 non-turbo

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by SimonCX, Sep 20, 2007.

1. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have a 94' 7.3L non-turbo f-series, I'm going to look at one with 102k and was wondering what you guys though of them. I know the turbo verison is good but how is the non-turbo?

2. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

thats an idi motor i herd they had probems with cavitation in the cooling system and sometimes with fuel lines other than that its a great motor i have a powerstoke and it rocks

3. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

i have an F 350 w/ a 7.3 idi. it won't set the world on fire with speed but it does get the job done. there is nothing flashy about the truck. i have towed heavy with it and it is slow going. but, it gets the job done. mine stays right around 17 mpg around town. for running light or with trailer loads under 10,000# it is a great truck. by the way, i am up to 250,000 miles and still running fine with no signs of cavitation. for one with the milage you are talking about you could add a banks turbo to help out if you find you need it.
    good luck,

4. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info, I'm not looking for a hot rod just something that will get the job done and will be dependable. I have a new powerstroke and love it, but don't know to much about the non-turbo 7.3's. Is 102k low mileage for that engine or in the high end?

5. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

my 89 f350 crew cab is a 7.3 non turbo diesel with 4wd and 5speed ZF manual transmission. It pulls all of my stuff. haven’t had any starting problems.
    I love the sound of this diesel going down the hwy it may not have the turbo that the new diesel have but hay that one less thing that could go wrong.
    I thought about adding a turbo but too much money maybe someday when i got more money than I need lol. the only I can say is that may be bad is not fast but pulls really good for my needs. It was $2000 so far Ive put $1000
    the brakes were really bad and the exhaust was lets say it was rigged together and sounded terrible
    the trucks from Wisconsin judging from the dealer thing on the tailgate that looks pretty worn but still readable. If you want to see my truck trailer and lawn equipment check out this link. Crew cab long bed may make the truck long but Its worth it for the space I get. being able to haul a four wheeler in the bed and my buddies in the cab all comfortably.
    Id rather have one more gear for over drive. like if ford made six speed zf.
    or have a two speed rear axle but hay that’s more money and time I got.
    Oh yeah most forgot the link to my picture thread.
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=199795

6. desii

desii LawnSite Member

I have a '94 F450 Stake Bed with the non-turbo 7.3 diesel, AT, and 103,000 miles...kinda strange, huh. Personally, I think that's pretty low mileage for the year and think it would have at least another 100K in it providing it's been taken care of mechanically.

Anyway, I've had it for 5+ years and bought it with about 72K on it. It's not a 70 MPH truck (unless going down hill...LOL) but it will haul just about anything. It has great towing ability which comes from the 5:13 gears in the rear axle, another reason it's not a "hot rod".

I also have an '02 7.3 Turbo Diesel in a crew cab dump and it is much faster / stonger than the '94, but it's a completely different setup.

I also had a '93 F350 with the 7.3 L and a turbo...the turbo did make quite a difference, but it also had 3:55 gears (or something close).

Anyway, the '94 has been a good truck. We don't use it daily, mostly in the winter as it has a plow on it.

I have been thinking about selling it, but I'm not sure what it's worth. Any ballpark on the one your looking at?

Thanks and good luck with your purchase.

7. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

yeh thats quite low mileage! be a great truck to get! and their very eas to work on.

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The construction/drafting/surveying company my dad works for has a couple of older 88's and 90's Ford superdutys with that engine. They are all over 200k miles. I think the 88's are closer to 300k. Still running good and working everyday.

9. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard nothing but good things about them. My dad had an 89 and some friends of the family have an 89 out on their farm. I got their 89 F250 up to almost 80mph on flat ground with an empty 16ft trailer. The poor old truck didn't like it but it was capable. Whenever one of their late models goes in the shop they're driving old reliable.

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Great motors. Cavitation is an issue so make sure the previous owner kept the coolant up to spec and you can't go wrong with it.