1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

7.3 power stroke diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by kandklandscape, Mar 10, 2007.

1. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

whats the life expectancy on these? of course depends on how you use them.

i hear they last 500,000 miles? motor that is.

yearts 99-03

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm curious too.

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 95 with almost 200K on it and still runs strong. Like you said it all depends on how you take care of them.

4. Snyderserv5060

Snyderserv5060 LawnSite Member

All depends on how well its cared for and such... ive seen on the diesel forums these trucks regurally with 300K+ still going strong. I think 500 is possible but if your towing a lot and all it may be a bit high. Its also not uncommon to see these things with 275-300K going for a good deal of money.
    I picked mine up and while it is used its not even truely broken in yet :laugh:

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Usually for us in B.C. if the truck has more than 300,000kms 186,400 miles nobody is going to touch it. The truck itself is usually thrashed too it will end up costing more to repair the truck than buy a new one. I personally never seen a diesel pickup truck with 400,000kms 248,500 miles on it that hasn't rebuilt the engine or spent thousands keeping the truck running.

I guess you guys get more milege out of the trucks because they never get worked hard. Spend 90% of the time running on flat ground and straight freeways and no road salt.

The steep grades and up and down on the rpms kills the engines quick if you can get 350,000kms 217,490 miles your doing damn good. To replace a 7.3 PSD is 6 grand so you might aswell part out the truck or sell it for scrap and go buy a new truck. Just to replace and reflash the computer for a 7.3 PSD is over 1000 dollars.

The 6.5 Chevs are lucky to even break 250,000kms 155,350 miles but thats not trouble free miles. The injection pump has been replaced twice they are not cheap. The timing chain probably has been replaced along with other parts. A 454 lasts longer than the 6.5s.

The Dodge Cummins trucks usually make 400,000kms but you have dumped 10 grand keeping the truck together. Have a old 91 Dodge running around the area that has 390,000km on it and its had quite abit of money dumped into it to keep the truck going.

A PSD lasting 500,000 miles or 800,000kms is a pipe dream. The money spend trying to keep things repaired could have bought you a brandnew truck.

6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

no its not a pipe dream. my uncles 97 powerstroke went 360k before he sold it to the company he worked for back in 2001. the company just did the trans about a month ago, truck had almost 600k. original engine original everything. also worked for a ford dealer and saw many and many of them with over 400k. (several of them were hot shot rigs, so they towed quite a bit) and one 95 powerstroke that actually made it to a million. so they will make it. youve just got to keep it serviced correctly and drive it good. the powerstroke (7.3) will easily get 300-400k. dont know how long the 6.0 will run. but my uncles newest one, (which is an 03) has 215k and still counting.

7. GG386

GG386 LawnSite Member

My E-350 (00) has got to have 160,000+ on it by now, and this this is loaded to the gills most of time and does do a fair amount of towing (7,500# plus range) and other than maintenance, it has been rock solid.

As I've said before- It IS MAINTAINED, not just lip service.

Guys you know the program, you have to pay to play. No light duty motor will live to 500,000 if it hasn't been taken care, pretty simple stuff.

8. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I look at a lot of the truck papers listing trucks for sale, and the only trucks I see with consistantly high miles still running and for sale are the Dodges. The cummins being a 6 cylinder by design is a superior motor. I will see a powerstroke with 300k on it once and a while, but not regularly. I have one with 245k and if I put a but load of money in it, it would probably go for a while.

Like Gravel rat says, how much money do you want to put in a truck? Mine has had injector cleaner in it from it's youth but I bet it could use injectors. Injectors alone will run around 3k! A wireing harness goes.....could be 1k to replace. What if you loose the engine...6k min, and likley more! Mine leaks oil, starts hard, and runs like crap til it warms up. It is a 95, and has had the best of care.

Unless you are hauling trailers over the road I doubt you will see a powerstroke make 500k. The truck will be given up for junk even if you could keep the motor running.

Oh yeah...in order to get to 500k...how many transmissions you going to put in it?

To me these diesel pickup trucks are such a crap shoot. You risk good money on the initial outlay because it is a diesel and "will last forever", to then feel compelled to pour all your hard earned dollars to make it "last forever" to justify your purchase.

The fact is only the cummins resembles a big truck diesel, and they are not even in the same league as what we have in our pickups.

Yep, I will have a DT466 thank you.

:)

9. Snyderserv5060

Snyderserv5060 LawnSite Member

...This post being about a 7.3 diesel, yes if cared for you will see some good miles on the truck. As many many of the people i've talked to who OWN them have said your doors will fall off before that engine goes bad. I dont know about your area but the number of F250's and 350's (PSD) far far outweighs the number of GM or Dodge diesels. That's not to say im taking down about those trucks...hell I think the cummins is well proven itself but that GM cant get past the IFS setup but thats another can of worms all in itself.

If you pick one up with reasonable miles and care for it the truck will be around for a long time to come. I went from my gasser to the 7.3 diesel and there is NO LOOKING back. Any truck in the future will be a diesel!

10. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm gonna try real hard to ride my 96 to a half a million miles before I get rid of her. Leaks no oil, needs glow plugs and probably injectors, but hey, that is routine stuff. My new set of BDP stage 1 performance injectors are going to cost around $1000 if my cores check out. My '97 rolled over 190K last weekend pulling a 20' gooseneck with my old 93 plow truck on it, ran like a champ. I haven't seen many 'strokes with 500K, but I looked at one the other day with 322K, and it drove like new. My uncle is crowding 300K in his 97, ORIGINAL TRANNY, this truck has pulled Skid steers and mini hoes since new. Another good friend of mine has 290K on his '96, original tranny, original injectors, drives it everyday, hauls hay, horses, cows, whatever he needs to around the farm with it. I drove it over the summer grossed out 20K+ hauling hay, you knew a load was there, but it still handled it with ease. My high school auto tech teacher has right at 300K on his 94, we put some Swamps injectors, a chip, and downpipe and intake on it about 4 years ago. He pulls a 28' enclosed down the highway like it's nothing. I think 300K is definately within reason, and depending on the truck, without having to dump a bunch of money into it. Diesels are more expensive, part for part, than gassers, but I've played the v-8 gasser game and the Powerstroke game, and I'll never be without a 7.3 PSD as long as I can find them in decent shape. My experience has been that the gassers will nickle and dime you to death over time, at least with my diesels, when they had issues it was all around 180K, replace a few pieces and keep on rolling. $10K to buy my '96, about $1500 in total repairs over 2 years and 50K miles, vs. $53K for the new 6.4 I looked at the other day, old 7.3 diesel wins.