1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

7.3L powerstroke

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mowerbrad, Feb 11, 2010.

1. JOG724

JOG724 LawnSite Member

i have a 97 with manual trany 330000 still going regular maintance
  2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I stopped by my mechanic's shop today and talked to a couple of the guys there. One of them used to work at a Ford dealer, so he has more experience with the 7.3 than any of the other guys there. He said that as long as the truck I buy was maintained as it should be, I will be fine. He said the 7.3's are a great engine and are pretty easily worked on. So I now just need to find a good 7.3 and hopefully get it. I feel much better about the 7.3 now, than I did before....it just keeps looking like a better and better engine and one that should serve me very well.
  3. petroskie

petroskie LawnSite Senior Member

you must beat the crapout of the trucks, i worked at GM for 4 years and had a several customers that drove all 3 types of diesels, had a guy with a 97 cummins, 430k miles and the compression was still good and he pulls a 5th wheel most the year, another with a PSD 7.3 280k miles no problems, a duramax with 612kmiles, he was a repo man no major issues, what did all 3 have in common? all 3 had normal maintaence parts go bad, its just part of owning a working truck, but all 3 maintained there trucks to the highest, they never skipped a service and if somthing was bad they got it fixed, but i have also had the opposite with all 3 brands were everything went bad and there trucks were just daily drivers, theres no guarentee with any truck, but get a good warentee with what ever you get
  4. Moto52

Moto52 LawnSite Member

show me where it shows the 03 and 04 do that? my friend have an 04 f350 fully loaded and it does not do that? and my neighbor has and 06 and his does it????
  5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The gasser trucks used the 4R100 transmission till 2004 the V-10 trucks from 99 to 2004 had the 3 spd overdrive. The 6.0s right from 2003 to 2007 had the 5R100.
  6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Well then he must be doing something wrong then. I had a 04! Ive driven many 03's. I worked at a ford dealer when the 6.0 came out and got to experience all its little wonders. One was the down shifting ability!! come on man. I know what im talking about here. The Torqshift has not changed. Its been a beast of a tranny.
  7. Moto52

Moto52 LawnSite Member

ah yea i knew i read it somewhere that the 5r110 came out in 05 i guess i was reading about the v10...
  8. Moto52

Moto52 LawnSite Member

well i'm just going by my friends 04 cause his does not to that down shifting like the 06s that i have been in.
  9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Youre killin me man. His is capable of it as well. Unless somethings messed up with the tranny. I had a 04, and it did it superbly.
  10. AtoZ

AtoZ LawnSite Member

My '03 drives the exact same as my '05. I think you guys are missing the boat - we're not debating that these engines can go the distance, they can. It's the fact that you will have major components to replace every 100,000 to 150,000 miles or sooner. I feel sorry for the guys that have to replace their injection systems on their 7.3, 6.6 and 5.9's. My 7.3 ate water pumps for breakfast. Unless you guys are Harvard Business Graduates and you've figured out how to outsmart the bean counters and Ford and GM - doubtful, it just doesn't make business sense to fix old pickups... You guys must not care about downtime and lost revenue, not to mention higher operating expenses with older vehicles. I can see if you use older vehicle for a backup but not a primary road worthy vehicle for everyday use.

It just doesn't make sense... I choose to run late model trucks for a reason. It makes financial sense!!!