7.3L powerstroke

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mowerbrad, Feb 11, 2010.

1. AtoZ

AtoZ LawnSite Member

The Torqshift tranny is mated to all 6.0 Powerstrokes. The first 6.0 appeared in mid 2003 along with the Torqshift Tranny... Do some fact checking...

Dude - unfortunately you'll never learn the joys and pitfalls of Diesel engines until you have your first repair bill. Especially if you buy someone Else's used vehicle...

2. Moto52

Moto52 LawnSite Member

i think you need to check your facts cause it didn't come out until 2005..
    I had lots of repair bills with my 6.5 diesel thats why i got rid of it and bought this 7.3.

3. AtoZ

AtoZ LawnSite Member

Wow - we've got another winner here.

Get ready for some more repair bills with that truck. Just curious - How many miles on yur Powerstroke???

I'm sure someone will chime in here to correct you...

4. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I love all three of my 7.3s, with the exception of the lack of power my 01 has...compared to the two 96's. So I may disagree on the 6.0 vs 7.3 thing, a couple of guys I went to school with work on everything from 7.3/6.0 fords on up to 50 series Detroits everyday, and both say the 7.3 is easier to work on and cheaper, more reliable than the 6.0's they have....I am still somewhat considering a 6.0 though. The torqueshift did come out in 03 with the first 6.0. I have some of the original literature from back then when the 6.0/torqueshift first came out.

5. AtoZ

AtoZ LawnSite Member

I disagree with this whole reliability stuff - C'mon folks, it really comes down to the operator... I'm not gonna lie, I loved my 1995 Powerstroke - the only issue I had with it is when it hit 200,000 miles the repairs didn't justify keeping it on the road for business use. Not to mention the rust issue...

I wish I had the ability to fix and maintain my vehicles, I do change my own oil - but the fact is sooner or later they all wear out...

As soon as my 6.0 gives me trouble, it's not a matter of if, it's when - then I will too send that down the road and buy a new one...

6. AtoZ

AtoZ LawnSite Member

Where did my Michigan buddy go too???

7. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

Thats where, for me, the 7.3 is highly desireable, I know my way around it and can do most any repair that I need to. For the money I paid for my first 96, that now has 236k, and have put into repairs, Im about 1/3 of what a new truck would have cost me, and it is hands down the most reliable truck I have. But thats one truck, and if you are buyin new the argument is entirely different, I just dont want to drop that kind of coin on a truck, they make me money but just not enough to justify that.

8. AtoZ

AtoZ LawnSite Member

Kudos for you keeping your '96 on the road. Wanna find me a '96???

How long have you had your '96?

9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Boy are you wrong!!:hammerhead:

10. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I have 2 7.3's. one has 230k, the other has 150k. the 96 (230k) has yet to need repair. Been very reliable truck. And so far just a small oil leak on my 2000..I am sure i will get to 200k in it before it needs anything else. I wouldnt mind a 6.0 either. I loved the 04 i had, it was just in the shop to much. Id gladly go buy a 06 or 07 today, and would think twice about it. But im in beliefs (through experiences) the 7.3 is a very reliable engine if maintained well.