1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

7.5hp wisconsin-robin engine?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Currier, Nov 23, 2000.

1. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at buying an aerator that has a 7.5hp wisconsin-robin engine. Any info on whether this is a good engine or not? I'll be making my decision by
    Friday p.m.(11/24). Any quick experiences/advice will be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

I have not heard anything about that engine, but have you looked at the areator? is it in good shape? how are the tines? How many hours? was it used by a rental company? What kind of areator is it? I would ask these ? before you buy it. I dont know very much about areators, but hopefully these will help.
  3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I have heard that Wisconsin engines are awesome. I think they are pretty expensive too. I have Robin power equipment and they engine is small and powerful.
  4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm a tinge bit late here, but that's a fine engine with a surprising number of service centers.

Either way, you won't be putting enough hours on an aerator to decern the men from the boys.

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 21 snapper commerical with the 4hp Robin its been one of the best motors ive ever had, It has been in use for 6yr and no problems. Mine is the 2cycle but there 4strokes have full pressure lube.They are great engines. Marks Mowing Service
  6. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

Had one on an old high-wheeled Kees walkbehind and it was tough as nails. I think some of the new Robins are made by Suzuki.
  7. jcoat

jcoat LawnSite Member

Hope this helps. I have a 4HP Snapper with Wisconsin-Robin. I've had this mower for 13 years now and it ALWAYS starts in <3 pulls. ** Read: Extremely dependable engine. ***
    It's now just Robin and they're owned by Fuji Heavy Industries (Isuzu, Subaru, Robin, etc.)
    From a domestic standpoint though, GMC owns 20% of Subaru and has very strong ties with Isuzu (new Duramax diesel).
    If you decide to buy the engine and need parts, there's an industrial supplier here in Tulsa who can get parts for my mower, so they should be able to help you should the need arise.
    My two cents: Since owning the Snapper, I've researched and become a Subaru owner too. As far as trucks: Chevy, GMC...
    I'm a firm believer in these engines.
    BTW, Snapper still installs Robin powerplants on their 21" walks.