1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

7 Acre Residential Mower Needed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mvyvoda, Sep 7, 2009.

1. mvyvoda

mvyvoda LawnSite Member

Greetings All,

I am in need of advice on which mower I should purchase. In your experience, what mower brand and model would suffice for a seven acre residential property? There are several hills, but mainly just a regular lawn.

Hustler, Scag, exMark, Simplicity and Cub Cadet are all brands that are standing out right now. Reliability, longevity and quick mowing are all important. I definitely would like to stay under $7k. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,
    -mvyvoda

2. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

let the fun start it is like asking ford or chevy If going new see what dealer you like the best if going used look for the best price. I would sat with scag,exmark,bobcat or ferris I like the kawaski (21 or 25 hp for a rider) engines the best but that is me with over 20 years of landscaping and grass cutting

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

When you say residential, do you mean it's for homeowner use?

Anyway, for less than $7000, I'd recommend you getting a low hour, one to two year old commercial machine. The brands which are popular in your area would be your best bet since there's obviously dealer support already established.

If you spend $7000 on a new mower, you'll have to downgrade in specs. For 7 acres, it wouldn't be worth it. 60" deck minimum and at least 25hp would be my starting points.

4. mvyvoda

mvyvoda LawnSite Member

5. ponyboy

from ny

yes used commerical equipment but stay awa from the brigss/vanguard engines

6. mvyvoda

mvyvoda LawnSite Member

ok, used. got it. what brands and models of used comm. equipment?

7. ponyboy

from ny

I would go with scag,exmark,bobcat or ferris I like the kawaski (21 or 25 hp for a rider) engines the best but that is me with over 20 years of landscaping and grass cutting

8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

9. ponyboy

from ny

that is a great deal

10. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

That deere looks like a really good deal. I would try and get that one if you can.

If you don't get that one, look for one that has a 52" deck or bigger, a 60" would be ideal though. As far as engines go, kawasaki and kohlers are all good (except for the kohler courage) and the only briggs engine that I like for commercial/heavy use is the Vanguard. I don't care what anyone else says, the vanguard engines are very good engines. On a 52" deck look for a 23hp or bigger engine on it, and on a 60" deck look for a 25hp or bigger engine. Best of luck.