7 acres 225$ per cut that is pretty low ya think (city work)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smarino21, Mar 21, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know what to do> I got in witht they city and its a few diff things but one for sure i know is about 225 per cut and its about 7 acres you guys think thats worth it , running a scag rider/? possible another z

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

That's really not that bad as it is $32 an acre which is actually high for city government work, if you want that kinda work. The normal rate is as low as $15-$20 an acre usally for local government mowing.

3. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

How long would it take you? How much trimming? Blowing? Travel time?

4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I do a county parks job - about 10 sites - 120 miles driving total if I start at the north end and finish at the south end - sites range from 11 acres (1) - 6 acres (2) 5 acres (1) then a couple of 3 acre, 2 and 1 acre areas - total 38-40 acres - 1290 per mow which is about 32/acre. Last year we did it for 1000/mow which was my first year, and we did so much better than the previous 20 years worth of LCO's that I went to them this winter to raise the price and they were very willing. Stick to your guns unless you have to prove yourself first, then bid it to get it, then go from there. Public boards, schools etc are used to very low bids.

5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

can you make a profit at $225 per mow? If so then why not. If not, then why bother.

6. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

You need to figure out how much time it will take you to service this account.

7. cgrappler135

cgrappler135 LawnSite Member

SMARINO are you san marino landscaping? just wondering have family from there.

8. TOOMBSTONE

TOOMBSTONE LawnSite Member

Government work is not that bad. If you can make a profit, go for it. I average about $25.00 per ac on mine. Also, if you have a Government contract with at least 7 months left on your contract, exmark (or other brands) can sell you equipment for government pricing(which is about 25% off). I bought an Exmark Lazer Z XS 31 hp with 60in deck for $9000.00 including a stripping kit, and taxes. So even though, the Government contracts are cheaper prices. The equipment dealers give you deals on equipment since you are cutting in high visible locations.

9. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

i knew they did that ..... learn something everyday. did you go directly to the mfg or through a dealer. and how did you work it out just say hey i mow govt. i want govt. prices or what?

10. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

last 7 acre city job i did was $125. someone else went cheaper