7 acres and 300 trees

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by growandmoe, Jan 22, 2008.

1. growandmoe

growandmoe LawnSite Member

bidding friday on a 7 acre property with 300 trees. it is in about 5 sections, trees are spread evenly throughout the property. i will only have to drop the trailer gate once, using a 60" ztr. Am i crazy bidding at $350 a week or does this seem fair. it will be sprayed twice per season with weed and feed. (not included in bid price) thanks for your replies.

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Have fun with leaf cleanups. Honestly, what you NEED is a chain saw, a tree chipper, and a stump grinder...

3. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats your estimate on time? You might need a bigger deck or machine.

4. growandmoe

that's the big question. the owner said it took the last two man crew 4-5 hours. problem with a biger ztr is getting around all the :&^$#$ trees. i'm solo so i guestimate 7ish hours with all the trimming.

5. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on what the man hours actually happen to be! If it were in my neck of the woods. I would probably bid it at $475 and would probably get "low balled"! If you need the $ bid where you need to and adjust next year. Leaf clean-ups not included in my price w/o seeing the property.

6. growandmoe

on more add on- property is only two years old so trees are all still small-5-6 foot tall. for those other solo's, do you think 7 hours is a reasonable estimate of time for one guy. all the property is in the front and side of a large new subdivison. i would love to get the property because there are 20 plus one acre lots in the subdivison being built up.

7. 4curbappeal

I say go for it! It's not like you are loosing money on the job. Re-evaluate at the end of the year! Take it and put some cash in your pocket.

8. 4curbappeal

I would also say 7 hrs. is pretty darn close.

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

naaaaaa..... that sounds about right......

We have one that's 10 acers, with tons of trees.

dont worrie about leaves, that's allways extra....

10. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

If they are that small then I wouldn't worry about leaves, just mulch them up and spread them accordingly. Whats the spacing between the trees? I'd at least bump it up to a 72'' deck.