1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

7 acres of spraying

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Green Acres, May 2, 2006.

1. Green Acres

Green Acres LawnSite Senior Member

I had a call today and a lady needs 7 acres sprayed for weeds. I have to go look at it tomorrow and was wondering what everyone else would charge for this. It flat and open. I have never done anything this big before and didn't know where to start. Thanks
  2. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

What sort of equipment will you be using?
  3. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

I don't do a lot of spraying on props this size but for the couple of ones I do I get $110. an acre. I would bump it up ten bucks or so now due to gas prices. I use my Walker to pull a 15 gal. unit that I got at HD. Works great!
    I hope I'm not lowballin here :)
    Check out the pesticide forum to see what the big boys may charge.
  4. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up an account that has 5 acres of flat, wide open grass, and I quoted about $108 per acre. I use a Permagreen to spray/spread. I just did an application of granular Dimension w/0-0-7. My cost was about $330, so my markup/labor was about $210. It took about 2 hours. Next app (Speedzone) will be more profitable, as my material cost will be about $140.
  5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I did a 7 acre park yesterday with my 200 gal spacesaver, I charged $1,450 that was for fert, 3-way and Pre-em.
    I usually do small residential 5-7,000 ft lawns, I keep thinking when I do these big jobs, "Man with this same amount of materials I could do 50-60 lawns & make like $2,500." But the truth is I charge for my time, and I could never do 50-60 lawns(blanket spray) in 7 hrs by myself.
  6. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Damn. Who owns the park? Your dad? lol

Thats a good per acre deal you have there my friend.

We should all be getting about 140 an acre but....it doesn;t always go for that. You 100 an acre guys need to raise prices to be honest.
  7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

It would have been less but it was a 1 time shot. Developer had to get it done so the city would take over maintenance. That first shot is the most expensive for me, 1+lb N/k potasium, fe, pre-em, and 3-way, by June- Sept I get by with a lot less fert and just spot spray.
    My cost per K in July is 1/4 to 1/3 what it is in April.
  8. Big Chicago

Big Chicago LawnSite Member

you pulled and sprayed the whole thing?

you should invest in a riding applicator to make returns on a job like that.
  9. Big Chicago

Big Chicago LawnSite Member

Always know what the other guys are charging. Is this a one time deal or a repeat buisness? What do u think? It is your time and money. How much can you aford to lose?
  10. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Seven acres would take me an hour or less. I would charge 400.00 to 500.00. Ideally you charge what the market will bear. Also what is the customer willing to pay? The customer always has the option of doing nothing. I also compete with the local Co-ops. They charge 10.00-15.00/acre plus product.