1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

7 day or 10 day mowing schedule?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by PerfiCut L&L, Mar 11, 2008.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

Our weekly mowing schedule generally runs 7 days, and our bi-weekly schedules run 14 days. However, I often hear new or potentialy new customers asking for a 10 day schedule. Usually, I will explain that for scheduling purposes we visit the neighborhood every 7 days. If it doesnt need mowing, then we pass it and return then following week.

With the new season upon us now, I have been giving some thaught to changing to a 10 day schedule. However, I think is going to screw up our bi-weekly (14) day customers.

How is everyone scheduling their cuts? Any recommendations? or problems to be aware of?
  2. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Stick with a & 7 day schedule. The 10 day thing will be a headache. Some of the bi-weekly yards need to be cut more often. Some customers do not want to pay to have it cut every 7 days. But I would not cave in on this.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

10 day is a nightmare to manage
  4. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

any of y'all run 5 day schedules?

monday, thursday, wednesday, repeat(something like that)
  5. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Like has been said already, stick with 7 day schedule. I am also dropping all every 14 day accounts this season. Too much BS and some yards can be a nightmare after waiting that long to be cut. Every 7 days on your scheduled day, take it or leave it!
  6. F&SLawnCo

F&SLawnCo LawnSite Member

we went to 7 day only and we added a clause that if you don't contact 24 hours before your scheduled service to cancel we will be charging a 50% service fee for driving out to the property just to listen to you explain why you do not want us to mow this week.
  7. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate 10 day schedules. They mess up your entire route. Especially if you have 3 or more accts in that neighborhood to cut that are weekly or bi-weekly. You would have to make a trip over to that particular area to cut one yard, only to return a few days later to hit the other accts. I did 10 day schedules last year, but never again. I had a lot of headaches with the scheduling, working around the rain and other misc things that came about that delayed it even more. There were times that it would rain so heavily, that even though the acct was scheduled for 10 days, I couldnt get to it because everything was soaked and soppy. So in the end, it would be 14+ days to mow the acct that were scheduled for the 10 day mowing. They were a disaster, way overgrown and a LOT more work.
  8. grassyguy

grassyguy LawnSite Member

Forget any 10 day or 14 day lawns. Those are horrible headaches. Go weekly only. There is plenty of people who want their lawn to look good and will pay for it.
  9. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree. Weekly is the only way to go. Considering the rate of growth and the time it will take you when its twice as tall how could anyone want to do something every other week?

And its less money also.
  10. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree too. You can't get some of the LCOs on here to understand this. They think they are missing out on money by dropping the 14 day customers that will not switch to weekly. Now I have a few bi-weekly accounts, but they are slowly being weeded out of my schedule. The thing about it is you don't make that much off of the 14 day mowing accounts. It requires too much extra work for very little additional money. The customer is the one getting the deal. The LCO is getting the shaft. They don't really care about the quality of their turf and landscape if they are bi-weekly.