1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

7-Elevens (Bids)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Military Lawns, May 16, 2007.

1. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I need a little advice on bidding. Now, I have two very big HOA's and fortunately, while transitioning from residential to commericial accounts I have been fairly successful.

I have an opportunity to bid on 4 (four) 7-Eleven stores and want to make sure that I am competitive. Here is my set-up. Solo operator with a 7-14 enclosed trailer with lots of good stuff. Occasionally, I get some help mowing my HOA's, depends on how busy I am. If, there is anyone who can offer some constructive advice (maybe you had some accounts like this), please respond and let me know how to bid competively.

I will offer up that I am part-time, as I am a locomotive engineer for CSX. I know what some of your are thinking...a part-timer. Well, that maybe true, but I have an occupational license, insurance (Nationwide) and a certification in Landscaping from PLANET. I take my job serious, because I am a professional and in fact enjoy what I do. Reading some issues from my fellow LCO's, I have experienced the same growing pains with the PITAS, etc. I offer that I will turn down any job that will not pay me what i am worth...but that is another story.

2. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

My experience with 7-11 owners are that they are cheap. They always want something for nothing.

Good Luck
  3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

If they are owned by the Hindu Indians like they are here run Forrest run!!! Not being a smarty but I would give my right n*t for a job with CSX and give you all my equipment if you can get me a job with them!!!! I have tried for years to get one. My late dad worked with them for 30 years and my brother is a locomotive engineer also. When a CSX employ gets into the lawn care biz here they become real unpopular real fast. I know of one that for a fact went into it just for a tax deduction and was cutting lawns for almost nothing for a tax writeoff. Anyway did not mean to get offtopic but the dark skinned folks from India who own stores,motels,and Dr.s are the cheapest, scumbag, cheat you SOBs you will ever deal with. Now are you ready for some free equipment for a job trade:laugh: :waving:
  4. MeadowsLawnCare

MeadowsLawnCare LawnSite Member

I used to manage a Kum and Go convienence store and our lawncare had to bid for all the stores in the area probably like you had to. They had to come as needed but my store had 0 grass and minor triming. They sprayed for weeds once a month and got $75 per visit... I thought that was kind of high but thats what they got. Hope that helps ( they got $75 for stores with curb grass to mow also) They were there 30 minutes max

5. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

While CSX is a good job, it has a lot of pros and cons, like anything in life. I do like my job, however, this part-time job helps keep me grounded with CSX. Like I said it is a good job, but it is stressful as you have Trainmasters (supervisors/managers), constantly threatening to fire you for looking at the throttle wrong (no joke). However, being retired from the military has taught me to deal with adversity. Unlike the other engineer you mentioned, I am not looking for a tax write off. With my part-time business, I am grossing just under 100K.

Thanks for the input.

PS: Keep checking the CSX website, they are always seeking conductors. That is how I started out. In fact, I expect to be going back as a conductor soon. I have low senority on the board.
  6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

my father is retired from csx/scl he ran from sanford to jax for 40 years
  7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

dont forget about trash...... most of the time there is a ton of trash to pick up.....
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

For a 7-11? I would skip it. Go with something that is going to pay. First, they are going to look for the cheapest, anyway. Have you ever saw a 7-11 done real nice? If you have, it was a fluke of a lowballed account. Futher, if you are not the cheapest, if they find cheaper 2 months down the road, you can bet they will go for it. Also, they will be nickel and diming you for every blade of grass you hit. they always want to try to "talk you down" from your price. This sets the pick for them, so they know what power they have over the lowly American lawnboy. Start high? Why even waste your time. There is too much money to be made out there than to be driving to sites that in the end, you've made enough to go in and buyt a big gulp.