1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

7 horse briggs backfires and pops at an idle

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Robert Doubrava, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

the thing is, my dad said that all we have to do is keep on cleaning the fuel filter. over, and over! i dont like that idea very much.

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

could you just rip a plastic tank off a non working machine?

3. Robert Doubrava

a plastic tank would not fit that old engine that i have. it would have to fit a certain model of engine. besides, i dont have any equipment to get a tank off of! :D

4. vipermanz

5. vipermanz

6. Robert Doubrava

there is one problem with both engines you showed. 1 we dont use tecumseh engines. [i dont know why] 2 the briggs engine has to have a fuel tank built on it because my mower is a very old model. its like a '72 model mower. junk, right. at least it gets the job done. when it breaks, im gonna buy a snapper rear engine rider with an electric start. to check it out, go to: www.snapper.com/residential/rear.html scroll down and click more residential mowers. i am looking at the 10 horse recoil and electric start M series mower.

7. vipermanz

i'd go for a used 36" commercial walkbehind , you can get those cheaper than $1k, check around your local dealers for used equipment, you might be surprised with what you find!

8. Robert Doubrava

i think ill stick to riders because my neighbors all have dogs, and i dont want to step in dog poop! :D

9. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

The "Meeting of the minds" here is getting hilarious!!!

10. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

You know, since I have absolutely no wrenching ability, I usually just skip over these types of posts, but I keep coming back to this one. I can't help myself!:dizzy: