7 horse briggs backfires and pops at an idle

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Robert Doubrava, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

we mowed two yards today. while i was at school, my dad checked my rider's engine and adjusted the main jet on the carb and we had no trouble with it today. it runs great at an idle now! no backfiring yet. one bad thing about it, that engine uses oil like crazy! its because the cylinder is worn out and oil gets in it. if i rub my fingers on the muffler, they will turn solid black from the carbon on the muffler. i know we need to clean the exhaust port very soon.

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I thought guys from Texas were supposed to be tough. All you had to do was sit on a rider after school for a few hours (if that??)

This thread is turning into your diary.:alien:

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

get a sulky, no walking or dog crap:D

4. Robert Doubrava

what kind of mower is that?

5. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

"Sulky" is an attachment for the back of your WB mower that you can either stand or sit on, as opposed to "walking behind". There are wheeled versions, as well as ones that slide along.

They resemble the sulkies used in horse racing, hence the name. (Or so I think - I'm a welder, not an LCO so correct me if I'm wrong guys!)

6. Robert Doubrava

my dad said that i just need a regular mower. i prefer commercial though, but my dad said no. thanks for the suggestions, guys!
    Robert

7. thelandscaper27

thelandscaper27 LawnSite Member

IN Ag Mechanics class, we took a center punch to the metal material around the vales to help stop the popping because it wouldn't sit tightly like it should.

You have a circle. go the opposite , 1 at top then 1 at bottom,
    next, 1 at left side and the other at right. keep going around in a
    circle.

Don't ever start let's say the top, then just go clokwise or counter clockwise. it won't work. Helped us in class. :D

the landscaper27@hotmail.com

8. Robert Doubrava

i dont think we will be tearing it apart anymore, unless it needs it. my dad really doesnt have the time to do it. the reason why i cant do it is because i dont know much about the internal parts, yet! :D
    Robert

9. plow kid

plow kid Banned

just rip it apart, then when you cant find all the pieces you can ask dad for a rider[​IMG]

10. Robert Doubrava

as ong as i can remember where everything goes, i wont have any problem tearing it apart. :D