7 Iron II deck pitch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rowski, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Rowski

Rowski LawnSite Member

Was wondering what other 7 Iron II deck owners are running for pitch?

I'm cutting cool seasons grasses at 3" to 4". It seems to be cutting well now. I'm not even sure what pitch its set at now. I have to fool with the deck adjustment because the cut height dial is not in sync with the actual cut height.

Striping questions...

Does pitch effect striping?

Does cut height for a specific grass effect striping?

Had the 737 with 54" for 1.5 months with 40 hours... no problems!

Thanks for the help!

Derek

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have not measured the pitch on my 717A, 48", 7 Iron II deck, so I can't help on that point. I have learned a couple of things about the deck:

1. It cuts smooth, leaving great results.
    2. It works well in all mowing conditions (e.g. wet)
    3. It does not stripe well at all.

I have a 36" Exmark, fixed deck, walk-behind. It puts down a more distinct stripe than the JD. However, I am firmly convinced that residential customers don't give a hoot about stripes. After a I started using my 7 Iron II deck about 14 months ago, I received many compliments, "... your new mower cuts much nicer than your other one." In other words, a smoother cut got more attention than the stripes from my w/b.

3. Grass Cake

Grass Cake LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone C

I've fiddled with my 737 deck quite a bit.
    IMHO
    It will stripe better flat, but grass sticks underneath
    the deck when the pitch is flat. I suggest you start out flat and pitch it a little on your best yards till you find the sweet spot.

I'm in the rural south(junk yards) cool season grasses should stripe well with the 7 ironII. I pitched mine until i had a nice discharge and no buildup underneath.

Yes
    Yes

Good Luck with the JD.I love mine.

4. Rowski

Rowski LawnSite Member

Thanks!

I'll see what my pitch is before any adjsutments. The only time I get grass sticking underneath is when is long and wet, rainy wet.

Derek

5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I always thought the striping was something the LCO's want to see more than the property owners. Most home owners probably like to see a smooth table top finish cut with no lines, any comments on this?