1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

7 Iron II

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John Gamba, Oct 1, 2007.

1. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

From what i'm reading. the 7 Iron II deck does great in wet but leaves a not so perfect finish?? is this correct. from what Ive seen here it looks like little hairs not stragglers.

2. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

A good friend of mine bought a JD quiktrak 647 last year and as far as I know the cut quality seems to be good. I do know that when he first got the mower he was so disappointed with the stripes that he fashioned a stripping kit out of a old dump truck mud flap and the problem was solved.
  3. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I put gator blades on my 657. it stripes fine now.
  4. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

i think mine does better when wet.it does fine dry but leaves some.
  5. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

my 797 w/60" deck works great in wet or dry. :clapping:
  6. John Gamba

from ct

Deos it leave a "flat finish" like the ultracut.
  7. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I would say the cut on the 7 iron deck is right up there but would give the edge to the ultra cut for a overall finished look.
  8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

My JD 717A, with 7 Iron II deck (48") cuts better than my Exmark TriAdvantage deck (36"). The cut is smooth, no stringers. When I added the JD mid-season last year, many customers commented on "how much better your new mower works." I have used OEM hi-lift blades to this point, but have bought Gators I intend to use for leaf season soon. On first trial, the Gators seemed to cut just as well as the OEM hi-lifts.

I have no experience with Exmark's Ultracut, only TriAdvantage.
  9. John Gamba

from ct

This is what i'm hearing. I'm going to look into this. its hard here because of the dealers or lack there of.
  10. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

That seems weird to me. I'm not saying it will or will not, but my Toro w/ Turbo Force seems to stripe less with gators due to the lack of vacuum with the slots in between the claws ( on the lift part of the blade ). However, I can adjust my baffle in and it seems to help, but still not as much vacuum like hi lifts.

When running high lifts you have to watch how close you get to trash before you pick it up, or the deck will suck it in and make confetti....lol.