7 or 8.5 Foot Wide Enclosed Trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TimberlandGrounds, Dec 29, 2003.

1. TimberlandGrounds

TimberlandGrounds LawnSite Member

I am currently in the market for a new enclosed trailer. I am considering a new cargo trailer, most of them are 7 feet wide. Is it a mistake to not upgrade to a 8.5 foot wide trailer (a car hauler)? Will I regret not getting the 8.5 wide trailer?

2. zero_turn_mowers

zero_turn_mowers LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 16X7 and is ok for mowers less than 60 inches but if I had a mower any wider I would get the 8.5 wide.

Tim

3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

at the risk of saying what you probably already know.....the wider trailer will require bigger mirrors. I opted for the wheels to be on the outside of the trailer walls. While it gets a little tight in there on occasion...especially in fall, I still like the fact I can see to the rear better and without those big mirrors as I have to get into some really tight alleys. I barely get thru them now and would not get thru with the bigger mirrors

4. Bond's Lawn Keepers

Bond's Lawn Keepers LawnSite Member

i have a 8.5 enclosed horton hauler that is 20'. The trailer was optional from a car hauler. I got them to put insulated walls. In south mississippi it gets real hot. So why insulate the inside walls the inside is cooler.

p7120083 (2).jpg

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Damn Bond! That is a sweet looking set up you got there. Very sharp!

7. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

Bond,
    I think yours is a 8 foot wide trailer.
    If it was 8.5, the wheels would be completely inside the trailer.

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Go wide as you can.......I hauled my 72" Chopper in mine when I had it. Never know what you might want to put in it.

9. myoder

myoder LawnSite Member

I have an 8.5' enclosed and would recommend going with the larger size.

10. Bond's Lawn Keepers

Bond's Lawn Keepers LawnSite Member

Hello guys I have been on vacation with the other half. Sorry about the last post. Yes My trailer is a 8' wide. It is an 8.5 counting the outside of fender. I have about five to six in. inside of trailer. But it has enough to haul two 60' mowers and a 72" when i need the big one.