7-p's

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by 1idejim, Aug 10, 2010.

1. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

I wonder how many mister heads you would have to use to cover 3 acres?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Outside of spending time pumping, how would you know a well can produce on a continual basis? I know, in the technical sense, how it is possible to know the actual depth of the water in a well on a real-time basis, but the additional equipment to supply that info is never part of a standard well installation.

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

here's a good one for S&G, drive to the site today and the ladies husband informs me that if i do any testing, it's on me as i should know WTF i'm doing.

the other bidders gave them a FREE estimate so he wasn't going to pay for mine.

i charge for pumpdown and perc testing, i credit $100 back if i do the job.

if this guy got so cranked by my testing requirements what's he gonna be like to work with on the install?

i have another to do next week sometime, hope it goes a little better.

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

not a customer you need.

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

i have a question for you boots,

have you ever taken static and draw down tests with the wire, battery and multimeter method or the air tube method?

right now i get the pump depth with the TDR and put a stopper knot in a weighted 1/4" line the same length as the pump depth.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I don't always have access to the well caps, so most of that is out - sometimes the best I could do was to run hoses and reach steady-state pump operation, then observe the pressure gauge for falloff. The first time I got bit on one of these, the well was a solid producer for over an hour, and I had observed it operating for a good half-hour while I was estimating, but I wasn't paying close attention to the pressure gauge during the estimate, or I might have seen some fall-off. Most of these wells are sized for the house, and not for irrigation, so a few hoses will get them running steady.

I really like the air tube method. I wonder if there's a portable air rig for measuring water depth.

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

i don't know but i understand the electrical method, ground wire from the casing to the 9vlt battery to an analog meter to weighted wire with a stripped end to the water, when the bare end of the weighted wire touches the water, the meter will deviate..mark and measure.. i might try this next week.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Would a laser distance measure/rangefinder work? Never tried it with water, but wouldn't hurt to give it a whirl if you got one handy.

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

i did this test to represent a surface to static water depth measurement by continuity. the continuity meter is a sounding device $20.00.

i grounded to the coffee can and connected my red lead to the wire which i inserted in the water.

the green light shows that we are powered up, the unit beeps and the red light flashes for continuity.

i should be able to actually use this in the field next week.

right now i need to clean some ditches.

100_0395.jpg

100_0396.jpg

100_0399.jpg

10. Some Sprinkler Guy

Some Sprinkler Guy LawnSite Member

I do a bunch of stuff on wells but normally they are wells that have used a lot of water via hose watering or they have other irrigation.

I normally just make sure my flow is good by matching whats there, or opening the supply line with a valve and getting the pump running and holding a certain pressure at a certain flow.

As far as well recharge and capacity there is no end on that one.
    You could put a system in spring and the well could go dry in summer.

IMO thats hardly your problem. If I suspect the well has low flow I will inform the HO though.