70,000 sq. ft. commercial bid HELP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikey33, May 23, 2006.

1. mikey33

mikey33 LawnSite Member

i am bidding on a 70,000 sq ft nursiing home. i have a 48 inch scag and 1 worker. there are 265 bushes to maintain 2300 feet of edging. i will be edging blowing weedeating and spraying. please help me break down the bid. i estimate that it will take me and my worker about 5 hours to finish each week

please do not post any nonsense about just lowballing
    thank you

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

you only have 1 w/b?

3. mikey33

mikey33 LawnSite Member

it is a tiger cub rider and how is that supposed to help me

4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Well lets see here... 1.61 acres X your per acre price. Factor in mowing around all those bushes and trimming.

It will take you 5 HOURS to mow 1.61 acres? Are you crazy?

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

It's real simple. Your cost of doing business per hour + the profit you wsh to make per hour x the total number of hours to do the job.

6. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Same answer every time. Why don't you help the guy out instead of the same ole same ole?

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Because THAT IS the answer! If you have any volume of business and a true LCO that does many commercial accts you'd know that.

BTW, that is only the THIRD time in two years I have ever posted this on here..... :dizzy: Mainly because if you have to ask this question, then I'd bet you don't have a clue of what it is REALLY costing you daily to operate..........matter of fact I bet YOU don't..... :laugh:

8. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Well, you DO know your cost per hour don't you?
    The rest is simple arithmetic.
    No one person knows the hazards and obstacles of that site like you do.
    No one knows your work ethic/productivity like you.
    So, plug those numbers in to the formula that MMlawn provided and you arrive at your answer.

9. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I know this won't help much, but in all reality, you should be able to do much more than that in 5 hours. You should actually be able to do your mowing portion in an hour flat, especially w/ you on the mower & the other guy trimming. Figure out what your cost is per hour. Please don't go and barely make a profit just to get the job. You will regret it when they start asking for little extras here and there. Edging - I use a walk behind edger w/ 3 blades on it so I only have to do it about once a month to maintain the edge -really helps speed things up.

For chemicals, talk with your supplier to figure out what kind of costs you should expect. Get a schedule figured out w/ what you will need to buy. In doing this, you will be able to get an average price that is balanced out for your applications. Then simply add your profit on top of that.

As for the landscaping, figure out how often you will need to trim, how long it will take you, & the cost of disposal. Everyone trims at different speeds, so price is determined by speed & quality. It is really hard for us to give you our price when we all go at different speeds. For me, I charge 3 hours for something that I know that I can do in an hour just because I am really moving - I have wings ya know:cool2: . But, you also have to figure the time loading & unloading equipment & debris disposal.

Also, don't forget to include weeding & mulch / rock applications.

10. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

My price (to win the bid) would be $135 per week plus spraying. I don't spray yet so I am not sure what the going rate is. Me and one other guy would be done in about 2 hours.