70,000 sq. ft. of Pavers

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by hoskm01, May 20, 2007.

1. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Speaking with a general contractor today who is building a 4 million dollarish house in the Phoenix area, said he was having installed 70,000 square feet of pavers for drives, walks, patios etc... 4 bucks a foot, installed and done.

Anyone tackle a project of this size ever? 280,000 dollars just in pavers.

Guess the volume discount is really in play here. 4 bucks a foot. Didn't get what brand/model of paver he was using, but it had to be pretty simple.

The house is 8000 square feet and the casita is another 1500. Building cost is 4 mil and expected value on completion is 6 mil. Would like to get up there and get some pics while they are at it. Blows the mind...

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

The one thing you have to remember, the base prep in AZ is not what it is in the Norther areas. Tamp sand, level, lay pavers. Thats why it's so cheap.

Chris

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Unless its a mile long driveway, i have a hard time imagining almost 2 acers in pavers at a residential residence.

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Can you say mechanical installation? Must be one damn big house.

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

The founder of AOL has something similar at his home in Northern VA.

I think he has about an acre of pavers, at his home with an 8 car garage. My brother in laws company did the soils engineering for the property, they even had a field office set up for multiple years at the property.

6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

A large estate that I worked on in Carmel, IN about 6 years ago had ~40k feet of pavers (or was it 80k, I can't remember)... Without excavation figured in, the paver company was charging $14/foot.

Of course, this guy was in the process of dropping $15+++ million (probably more like 20-25) into a home renovation, so the driveway was just a small part.

7. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I hope you meant to put a comma between tamp and sand, because you dont tamp sand... anywhere I thought, not here at least. And even here I wouldn't trust driving on a paver that was set directly on the dirt (on sand of course) after being wet, lets say when it rains every couple years.

What is this mechanical paver install you speak of Paponte?

8. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I assume he means the large scale installing machine which lay a row of pavers at a time. I have never used one, but it is impressive to watch. Do these machines need special pavers or do the clamp onto a row of regular pavers. They use them at airports and docks.

9. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Hosk - I do mean tamp sand, because in most places in AZ your subgrade is sand! So you must compact your subgrade (sand), then add more sand, level and lay pavers. Very few people use aggregate down there. Now you know! and knowing is half the battle!

Chris

10. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Im not sure what part of AZ you are familiar with, but there are very few areas in Phoenix with a sandy base. In other parts of the state, perhaps, but not too many Ive ever seen, and Ive been here for 24 years. Just wanted to make sure you werent talking about compacting your top layer of sand. And using aggregate here is not out of the question. Over-engineering sometimes maybe, but needed in some situations. Now you know!