70 hours on the new mower and ready to trade

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a new 227 Grasshopper about 3 weeks ago, thought it was the greatest thing, for about the first week... Now, the more I use it, the more I HATE this machine!

*See the engine bogging down post, this is my #1 complaint.
    *The ground speed is terrible S-L-O-W!

*Cloth top catcher is a JOKE! Dumping it is a huge production, it blows all the dirt and chaff straight back, so in the wind you get covered. Plus, it's friggin CLOTH, which I already have several tears in. Also the top has no latch or anything that holds it closed. Once the unit is about 2/3 full of leaves the top just pops open! Dosn't do this with grass though.

*Deck has BAD blowout in dry conditions, especially leaves. (no kit to fix)

*cut is awesome, but only in nice grass. Cut is horrible in weeds, leaves about 1/2 untouched.

*gas tank fuel cap is on the WRONG side of the machine! With the blower/tube on you end up either breaking a spout to get it bent around far enough or dumping gas all over. It also has no working gauge. It has one, but it only workind for a couple days. Now I have to beat the hell out of the tank to get it to read right, plus it's UNDER the seat anyway...

*Deck only has foot lift, lifting the deck+the blower is a LOT if you have a bum ankle or knee, or both.

*ordered the "big boy" levers, because I'm 6'4" and get it and find that they don't meet in the middle! There's a 4" gap between them. Can't mow one handed like I have done for years. No matter though, because it takes a LOT of input on the sticks to turn. No way you could turn with one hand judging by the amount you have to move them. Always could with the Dixons though.

Sure, there are some things I do like about the machine. The ride is awesome thanks to their in frame rubber mounts plus the suspension seat I added. It is pretty easy to control and does all the hills/slopes I could ever do with the dixon. It does pick up better, but to a fault really. I'm getting about 50% MORE grass now than I was with the Dixons. I need taller sides on the truck... I'm sure there's something else I like, but I can't think of it now. :cry:

I just don't know what to do. Dealer really thinks that all my complaints are trivial and just says there's nothing wrong with the machine. If I tried to trade for something else I'd loose my butt. If they would just take it back I'd be thrilled, but with almost 70 hours and a lot of scratches I don't see that happening... I just don't know how I'm going to deal with this machine for the next 2 to 3 years... I was hoping that I finally found a machine I could keep for at least 4 seasons instead of trading every other year.
  2. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

In your sig,

You should change the Happy face next to Grasshopper 227, to a sad face.:(
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Fixed. Just wish it was that easy to find a machine I liked :cry:
  4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Dang that sucks. I drove by that new "lawn" in your HOA over here by me today and saw how crappy it did on the thin stuff...wow... The cut across the street was great though on the better grass.

Have you talked to JJ yet about it? I bet ya'll could probably work somethin out.
  5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Jason, I sorry to hear that - I made a post in your other thread as well.

Fom the sounds of it, there may not be much that can be done about some of the probelms/issues you are having; as I think they might be just the 'nature of the beast', if you will. My only advice is to be persistant with the dealer, if you bug him enough, he will probably eventually get of his a$$ try to help you out. There's no reason you shouldn't be happpy after dropping that kind of $$$. Good luck and keep us posted!
  6. hboozer

hboozer LawnSite Member

Send a copy of your post to Grasshopper!! Talk to them!! If no help keep the gripes posted.. After each post, send that post to Grasshopper. A squeaking wheel gets the grease!! Good Luck
  7. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Why would it take 70 hours to figure out that you dont like it? No company or dealer is gonna take it back after 70.
  8. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I know i have talked to you befor about this jason and its like you are taking the words right out of my mouth i echo everything you have said on here i though the cut was because my 223 was under powered in weeds but apparently its a common problem. Looking at getting into a ferris next year i am having a horrible problem with mine leaving stragalers and strips uncut and when i am cutting properties 6-12 acres at a time it is impossible to go back and double cut everything it is to the point that customers have complained about missed streaks and these are large properties not like they go walking out to look for them doesnt matter sharp blades new baldes all the same but as u have said i have one nice large yard that is irragated and it cuts it beautifuly but my large accounts that are unirragated i have problems
  9. bigbone

bigbone LawnSite Member

I mowed a few lawns with a Grasshopper and I hated it. Very slow, drived like a shopping cart, yada yada yada. I really appreciate my Hustler after using that POS. Have you tried hustler? I really love mine.
  10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Sell it outright, trade it, whatever you have to do. Do not torture yourself with a machine you hate for years to come. The loss will leave a sour taste, but not near as sour as keeping it.