70 townhouses need help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JKLC, Apr 25, 2005.

1. JKLC

JKLC LawnSite Member

There is a new developement going in my area it will be 70 townhouses prices ranging from 190,000 to 250,000 and the news just came in the paper this sunday...

My question is how do i go about marketing my services to this new devolopement and get it now before it is attacked by other LCO's in the area.
    Should i Approach the developers or should i wait and go after the buyers themselves....

If i approach the developers what will intise them to use me over another...
    I know what i have to offer but what do you feel they will want to hear?
  2. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I would bet there will be a HOA you would have to go through them.
  3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

are they totally private, or will there be an hoa?
  4. JKLC

JKLC LawnSite Member

They are being built by a developer but will be purchased all on an individual
  5. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

if they are individual, the thing i would do is flyer each mailbox, and try your best to just get ONE account. you do that, it will inevitably snowball. here, the houses here are built similar, pretty close and individually maintained. just have to get your foot in the door with one.
    i would even drive by casually and approach a homeowner in this case. say something like, "I work in the area. here's is my card if you ever need some service. off hand, i generally charge XX for a property like this."
  6. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck. Thats most of our business, (condo townhomes, etc,.) If they are indvidual have fun, most likley they are going to be an HOA, & already have numbers (we give prices before construction is started.) Best advise would be to contact builder start there.
  7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

The developer won't own them he'll only build them and that will probably take at least a year and maybe two. Once they are selling out then chances are great that a HOA or an Assoc Management Company will run them and sub out all if the services work. In any event I wouldn't get worked up about servicing them right away as I doubt they'll being doing anything until on it until next year at least.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

In our area the guy that puts in the landscape usually gets the first year or so of maintenance. He usually is responsible for the plants and he will tell them if he don't get the contract no guarantee. We bid one where we had to guarantee the plants for one year and obviously our bid was much higher than the installer.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's usually how it goes, here. Either he (the landscaper) will do it, or one of his friends will get it. One way into this, is to take care of the "model home" at a reduced cost, in trade for recommendation of service to all new residents. This is for subdivisions though, not for townhouses (which are usually hoa).
  10. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

If it is an HOA be careful. Lot's of pitfalls to HOA's. I charge much more for them due to all of their problems.