700 Homes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Braveheart, May 29, 2010.

1. Braveheart

Braveheart LawnSite Member

Hi Everyone,

I am bidding on an gated community in Stuart, FL. The community has 700 homes. The bid is for basic lawn care 40 times per year. That's every week in season and every other week during off season. There are no extra's (hedging, fertilizing, insecticide, etc...), it's just basic mow and go.

My question is how many men should it take to complete these homes? They are all average size yards (80x100) and they are all next to each other. I would like to get it done in 4 days. Any ideas?
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Don't bite off more than you can REASONABLY chew,
    I think that job is apparently way too big for you but if
    it makes you feel better I would not bid it myself either.
  3. MrRob

MrRob LawnSite Member

we do a large mix of apartment, duplex, and condos in one day with 6 guys. They have 5 complexes that total 650 units. How many acres is your property you are bidding?
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You do 650 in one day? :laugh:

You see how that comes across, you didn't per chance mean 650 total out of 5,
    each one of those 5 takes one day, did you?

Either way you've also done this before, you know what you're doing, the part that
    scares me is this guy is thinking of taking 4 days for one account and I'm sorry
    but I don't think that's going to work out because too much eggs in one basket.

Then add inexperience, 6 workers and an inexperienced owner, what happens
    when the workers start with the questions?

So my opinion is learn to walk before you run.
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Wow, thats a nice piece of property! I was sitting here trying to figure how long and how many man hours this would take and could not come up with a answer I was comfortable with. Me being solo, I would have to turn this one down. What happens if you get the bid, hire x amount of employs then loose it. You then have 4 days with nothing for you or the other guys to do. Like one said above, I don't like to have all my eggs in one basket! Another thing that comes to mind is you are not dealing with just one homeowner or manager, you are dealing with 700 folks, vehicles, hoses, crap in the yard. Thats a LOT of headaches and you can be sure out of the 700 you will have several PITA.
  6. Braveheart

Braveheart LawnSite Member

Last year I turned down a gated community with 1158 homes, I felt that was too big us. I'm not comfortable turning this one down because we already take care of two other gated communities. The only difference is that in the other gated communities we take care of, we only mow the common grounds. We do mow some of the homes in the community, however, in those cases we are contracted directly with the homeowners.

In one gated community there are 500 homes and we mow about 200 and in the second there are 600 homes and we also mow about 200.

In this new opportunity there are 700 homes and we will have to mow them all... The reason it is difficult to determine how long it will take is because in my other accounts the homes are all spread out and in this new account they will all be in a straight line. I'm sure this will save time, I just don't know how much.
  7. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

How many acres is the property total? I'm assuming trimming and blowing will also be done.
  8. Ron's TLL

Ron's TLL LawnSite Member

In one community, you are mowing 1 in 3 houses, in the other, you are mowing 1 in 2.5. If they are similar sized properties, you already have a basis for your bid. Say it tales 10 minutes per property at the 1 / 3 and 9 minuets in the 1/2.5. You can directly establish that the time savings per home is travel time. It takes about a minute to walk equipment 150'-300'. Eliminate the travel time loss, and you have your new number. Doing 1/1 homes would then equal about 7-8 minutes per, based off the original example of ten minutes.

I may be bidding on a gated comm. with about 650 homes and common areas. I will be very interested to see what you come up with. Also, will you provide your current production rates for your existing properties? Basic details on the landscape would also be nice. Feel free to pm me with this data.
  9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I'm also interested to see how this turns out.
  10. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

i think i'm a bit lost here. are these townhomes or indivual houses?