717A Sweet

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robbo521, Nov 8, 2006.

1. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

i tried a friends 717A Deere today.that mower is sweet for what i am use to.i have a scotts 42.i did my churches grave yard that had wet oak leafs about
    5'' thick on it,these are the big ones.i made two passes over them and they looked better than my old mulcher and it did not have a mulch kit.looked at Deere yesterday and they told me $5950 and $170 for the mulch kit and they put it on.does this sound good,it is a 2006 717A.

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Having bought a 717A in May, the price quoted to you is very good. I paid much more for mine.

I'm using my machine in a different part of the country. But, I am very pleased with the mower, both in terms of quality of cut, and as a piece of equipment. The 19hp is marginal for heavy duty mowing on slopes. Mounting a spindle-driven vacumn to support a bagger would probably not be a good idea.

3. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

did the 171a u tryed have the 48 deck?

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

5. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

yes it had the 48'' deck.i mulch the 5 yards i have now so i am going to get the kit.due to the past problems me and dad will be going tomorrow to do the papers and hope the baby will be coming with me if they have the mulch kit.it takes me 5 hrs to do my church and grave yard with my little 42''.i could not get over me getting it done in 2hrs 15min.then came home and cut mine in 40 min.the thing i like is i was not tired or felt like i had been doing yard work.now all i need to do is fix my trailer,it is a tilt one and it is something trying to back it off.going to slap me a gate on the back this weekend.

6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

The 717 with a mulch kit is awsome on mulching. However, will bog down in tall grass. My local dealer just started advertising them for 5995 but was quoting 6900 last month. Mine 4 years ago was 5795 so yes thats a good price. You have got to try it with the mulch kit on leaves, makes bagging obsolete!

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

QualityLawnCare4U - how long does it take you to mount/dismount the mulching kit on your 717? In other words, how much hassle is it to put it on and take it off?

8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Roger, its a six pack and talk REAL ugly job! Not something you would want to do very often. What I did on mine when I removed it was only remove the right deflector shield and the chute blocking plate. The left deflector shield is a first class **** to get off and it worked fine leaving it on for just throwing the grass.

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry to hear of the mount/dismount task.

My 717A has seen little use in the last 3-4 weeks since leaf season started. I don't have a mulch kit, nor a bagger for it. However, I would give the mulching kit a shot, if it was pretty easily mounted/dismounted. I use the ZTR on the more open properties, so would like to continue doing those in discharge mode.

10. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

I bought mine for 5500.00. I don't have a mulch kit, just use Gator Magnum Hi-Lifts. Seems to work just fine.