718D Grasshopper Overheating

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jarnod1993, Apr 23, 2014.

1. jarnod1993

jarnod1993 LawnSite Member

I have a 718D grasshopper. It has been overheating on me. It started overheating last season and I ended up replacing the radiator but was mowing with it again this season and is still over heating. It is okay at idle but when you are mowing with it the mower will overheat. Then if you turn the the deck off it will cool down and you can go back to mowing until it overheats again. Any information on what could be causing the problem would be greatly appreciated.

2. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Faulty / sticking thermostat, still functioning but not correctly, I would simply replace it, eliminate this as a possibility.
    Low on antifreeze, this and the thermostat would be my first two options.
    Failing water pump.

How dirty is the engine?

3. jarnod1993

The coolant level is good in the mower. I haven't replaced thermostat but will try and do so to see if the problem persists. Also the engine is very clean I just took all the covers off and cleaned out any old grass and degreased it. Thanks

4. viper8524

viper8524 LawnSite Member

engine ever low on coolant or use it? Ever see any air bubbling in the expansion tank maybe indicating a bad head gasket or cracked head,etc.

also ever hear any belt squeals from the water pump/alternator area. Those alternator and water pump pulleys are bad for wearing grooves in them and then the belt slips.

5. jarnod1993

It's never been low on coolant and I check it every time I use it. I've also never heard any belts squealing I've spun both the alternator and water pump and both spin smoothly. I'm not sure about the bubbling but I've never seen any water in the oil or oil floating in the water.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

What about an air bubble in the system when the radiator was replaced? The water pump can't pump air.

7. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

My walker diesel had similar symptoms. Ended up being a relay for the radiator fan not working right. Fan only worked some of the time. Mower would idle fine but over heat while mowing.

8. jarnod1993

That's a good thought. I hadn't thought about air in the system. Also is it common for the water pump to go out on kubota engines?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Isn't that a pretty old machine? I don't remember the 18hp Kubota diesel being offered for a long time.
    How many hours, and what year model is it?

10. jarnod1993

Yes it's pretty old. I belive it is a 90 model and the hours are around 1600
    Posted via Mobile Device